How can I find non-HOA home listings in and around Austin, TX without having an agent manually sending them to me?

Asked by Peter, Boston, MA Fri Oct 30, 2009

Answers

6
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Nov 12, 2009
Dear Peter,
You might try looking in Shady Hollow. There is an HOA but it does not apply to every home. Only the homes that the previous owner joined the HOA are considered mandatory HOA homes. This neighborhood is about 15 minutes from downtown and has homes of 1900-2600SF on larger lots (.25-.1 acre) with big trees for $225K-400K. The Estates of Shady Hollow has larger homes with 2500SF-4000SF and 1-3 acre lots from $400-800K. If you care to join the HOA it is only $325 per year and gives you access to the community center and pool. Give me a shout if your interested.
Betina
Web Reference:  http://www.BetinaForeman.com
Shady Hollow is too far
Flag Fri Sep 15, 2017
Steve Crossl…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Nov 12, 2009
Why do you want to avoid an HOA?

Doing so is fraught with risk and exposure to uncontrolled variables. If you're in a central established neighborhood, governed by city codes, it's probably ok, but there is no shortage of nightmare stories about living in unregulated areas where enforcement of deed restrictions can be very difficult.
I like to park my 28 foot boat next to my house in back yard. Simple as that
Flag Sun Oct 16, 2016
Flag Sun Oct 16, 2016
There are also nightmare stories about HOAs. Some people enjoy the freedom of not having every aspect of their lives governed. Personally, I don't want to pay for someone to nit pick what kind of tree I can plant, or if I can build a garden, or if my yard grows an inch over regulation height. There are many people that maintain their houses without having being told to do so.
Flag Fri Apr 15, 2016
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Nov 11, 2009
Dear Peter,
You would have to go back to school and get your own real estate license and pay to join the Austin Board of Realtors. Non-Realtors don't have access to MLS. Anyone of us can set up a FREE property search for you. The key is a Buyers Agent does not charge the buyer a fee. Buyers Agent fees and Listing Agent fees are paid for by the seller in Austin. So it does not cost you a dime to have representation. Let somebody help you with this. It is what we do and we are all happy to help. Good luck!
Betina
JOSEPH E JAR…, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Oct 30, 2009
Peter, There are a couple of options if you don't want a Realtor to assist you (although I, for example, provide a wealth of services at NO cost to buyers like you. You can click on my name to the right and see my credentials, client testimonials, etc. Plus, I grew up in New England and spent a lot of time in Boston and at Fenway...love the Fenway Franks!!)
1) You can go to my web site listed below and search for yourself. In the "Financial Information" section of a parrticular property, you can see the "Association Fee", aka HOA, and the "Assocaition Fee Frequency (ie: annually, monthly, etc.)
2) I can also set you up with a free personal website that gives you access to all properties in our MLS system. You can run your own searches and it will also automatically send you properties that fit your search criteria (no HOA's for example).
Let me know if you'd like some help either way and Austin is a great place if you're planning on a move. I did, and wouldn't think about heading back East. Sincerely, Joe Jarusinsky, Keller Williams Realty Master Instructor/REALTOR
., , Austin, TX
Fri Oct 30, 2009
Peter, homes built after 1983, or so, in the city limits will usually have a mandatory HOA. All townhomes and condos have mandatory HOA's regardless of location or build date.

I can cause listings to be automatically sent to you that do not have an HOA association to you if you would like.

Let me know and good luck.

Mary Strickler
Prudential
., , Austin, TX
Fri Oct 30, 2009
Peter, look at homes built before 1983 or so, when HOA's were predominantly voluntary. Homes built after 1983, more or less, within the city limits usually have mandatory HOA's. This applies to homes only. All townhomes and condos have monthly HOA's regardless of build date.

I can also open a gateway that will automatically send you listings of all homes without a HOA association.

Let me know if you would like me to do that for you.

Mary Strickler
Prudential - Westlake