How can I find closing cost assistance for Nassau County?

Asked by E_monroe, Westbury, NY Mon Oct 17, 2011

My husband is a veteran and we are both first-time homebuyers. We need help with obtaining a grant to help with closing costs. I have been looking everywhere but I am unable to find any information besides the HOME program and SONYMA (which requires you to use their own mortgage). Does anyone have additional information or resources?

Answers

6
Lydia Green, Agent, East Meadow, NY
Mon Apr 23, 2012
The Long Island Housing Partnrship is an excellent option for housing grants. If yyou do not want to wait for grant approal (or don't qualify), ask your lender if the VA will allow you to finance your closing costs (the FHA allows this). As long as the total loan does not exceed the value of the property this could be a good option for you.
Brenda Di S…, Agent, Branson West, MO
Tue Mar 6, 2012
The market determines value not the agent. If u feel the value isn't there then have your agent show you a market snapshot and submit it with your offer.
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Tue Oct 18, 2011
There's the long Island Housing Partnership's Down Payment Assistance Program. You can use the money towards your down payment or closing costs. They just don't give you a grant because you are a first time buyer, you have to eligible and it's based on income and total member of household. The grant varies every year. This year it was $25,000, last year it was $25,.000 plus up to $10,000 for essential renovation.

Anyway it's practically the end of the year and they are out of funds for 2011. Call them to get on their mailing list or you can keep in touch with me for next year, it probabily will not be until the spring. Oh, and you can use your own lender of choice. Good luck.
Annette Levi…, , New York, NY
Tue Oct 18, 2011
With a VA mortgage the seller pays the closing costs. I would recommend you go to CDC for budget planning. At the moment all monies are done for downpayment/closing costs help but CDC would know when it becomes available.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Oct 18, 2011
Johnny Huang,…, Agent, Walnut Creek, CA
Mon Oct 17, 2011
I'm don't know the local real estate there, but a local realtor may be able to help you get that answer. I'm thinking wouldn't SONYMA have that information as well?