How can I find an agent that is most knowledgeable regarding a particular area? I'm searching for my first

Asked by Glenda, Cincinnati, OH Wed Jan 23, 2008

home to purchase in the Pleasant Ridge / Kennedy Heights / Silverton area.

Answers

5
Nadja Crawfo…, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Wed Sep 12, 2012
Hi Glenda!

Lots of great answers. What I tell every buyer..... be ready because buying a home is hard work!! You are starting your first homework assignment. Finding the right agent. Lots of good answers here...all good advice. Number one rule...like your agent or it will not be as pleasant experience as it should be! Buying a home is hard work but it should also be rewarding and fun! You will spend many hours with your agent. Ask the agent to meet you for coffee or soda, just get to know each other. If they don't have time for that, they won't take the time to get to know you, your needs or desires either. Being knowledgeable is extremely important and most full time agents will be so find a full time agent and then find the right chemistry. The good agents are here to help you! Good luck and Happy home ownership!!!
., , Cincinnati, OH
Wed Jan 23, 2008
Today's agent has access to information that can make them an immediate market expert in almost any area! If you are brand new to your desired area, drive around and note the for sale signs and the varied agent/broker representation. (GASP!) To that end, you may want to check out a few open houses in your desired neighborhoods. Talk with the agent(s) holding the open houses. You will find out right away how well they know the area! Greater Cincinnati is packed with great agents who can meet your needs. The bottom line is to work with someone you like. Good Luck!
Michelle Gor…, Agent, East Grand Rapids, MI
Wed Jan 23, 2008
The answers you have gotten this far are very good. Interviewing an agent is a great idea. You spend a lot of time with your agent, you better like them!
I just sent a referal to one of my clients for your area and got a very good report back from my client, he liked her very much. She works only as a buyers agent. When interviewing you may want to interview her for the job as well:
Debbie Long Cincyareamls - debbie@cincyareamls.com
Website - http://www.cincyareamls.com/about/
Dan Weis, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Wed Jan 23, 2008
Hi Glenda,

It's important to interview an agent to determine what their experience level is and if you're compatible working together.

You should ask questions like:
- how many years have they been a full-time Realtor?
- do they primarily work with buyers or sellers (you want an experienced buyers agent)?
- what designations they hold?
- how would they communicate with you?
- how quickly would you get access to new listings?
- have they helped buyers in your areas of choice?
- how available are they to show you homes?
- how do they negotiate an offer?
- how do they recommend an offer price?
- how do they show you what the area's market trends are?
- are they knowledgeable about different mortgage programs?
- do they work with a mortgage consultant, who can offer you several mortgage options?
- what buyer guarantees do they offer?
- do they have client testimonials you can see?

You need to understand that you have 4 options: 1) not buy at all, 2) buy on your own, 3) use a traditional salesperson, or 4) use an experienced real estate consultant (who has your best interests at heart).

If you'd like to learn more about how to select an agent and learn about the home buying process, there's a 2.5 hour class tonight at 7pm. For more details, go to my web site below to the buying page and click on the yellow logo. Feel free to follow up with me offline, if you have any more questions. You can call or text me at (513) 615-1890.
Stephen Merk…, Agent, Wadsworth, OH
Wed Jan 23, 2008
Glenda:

Good Question! Many Real Estate Brokers and agents will tout that they're the best in a particular area by making general statements about market share (the percentage of the market that they've listed or sold), but don't give enough specific information for consumers to make an informed choice. In order to look past the hype, you may have to roll up your sleeves and do a little work.

My recommendation is to examine the websites of Brokers who have offices in the area that you're considering. Try to find the agents with the greatest amount of listings in the specific area that you're looking in. Call or email them and ask them specific questions about the area that are important to you. Then ask them some agent specific questions to find out their experience level in the area:

1. How many buyers have you represented in the purchase of a home in the area I'm considering?
2. How many listings have you sold in the area that I'm considering?
3. What was the average sale price vs. list price percentage that you were able to negotiate for buyers that you represented in the area? (ex: if Realtor sold $100,000 house for $90,000 = 90% Sale Price vs. List Price percentage - could be an indicator of how strong a negotiator the Realtor is)
4. How long does your average Buyer look for?
5. What trends to you see occurring in the area that I'm looking in?

These are strong questions that will give you a good indication of how much experience the Realtor you're questioning has in your desired area. You could also ask anyone you know who has purchased a home in that area for recommendations on Realtors, but I would also ask these questions of anyone that I was referred to as well!

Web Reference:  http://www.stevemerkle.com