Ama, Home Buyer in UK

How are property taxes determined.?

Asked by Ama, UK Wed Dec 12, 2007

I have seen similar properties with different tax bands. why do taxes vary so much. Do some areas have more amenties - libraries etc.

Answers

5
Mark Wagoner, , Englewood, FL
Wed Dec 12, 2007
Your home's value is determined by your county property appraiser. Then, based on the deductions (homestead, widow, etc) a taxable value is determined. That value is multiplied by the prevailing rate for your county and your tax liability is determined. You will also incur non-advalorem taxes in each municipality which are usually not tied to the value of your home.
Kathleen Lor…, Agent, Baxter, MN
Fri Apr 3, 2009
Not only do they vary by state, they vary by county & then in some cases by township. Think of it all like small kingdoms and you will get the picture.
Web Reference:  http://topbrainerdagent.com
Winston Cros…, Agent, Wellington, FL
Fri Dec 14, 2007
Hi Ama,
The rough guideline to use to estimated and calculate property taxes in Palm Beach County is 2.0 % of the selling price with a +/_ 2.0 % of that figure. I do believe you can use the same calculation for Broward and Martin Counties.
Manny Reynal…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Fri Dec 14, 2007
Hi Ama,
Don't be misguided by the information you are looking at, in Palm Beach County Florida the property taxes on any purchase of real estate is calculated at 1.75% of the recorded sale price ie. $100,000 x 1.75% =$1,750 first year, no cap is applicable at this moment for foreign nationals, however, the Florida legislature has come up with a proposal to be voted on this coming January 2008 to cap the tax rate for foreing nationals and non-permanent residents to 5% per year.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance...
Manny Reynaldo
Certified International Property Specialist
Prudential Florida WCI Realty
Mreynaldo@2bocahomes.com
Web Reference:  http://www.2bocahomes.com
Paul Whiteho…, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Wed Dec 12, 2007
Hi Ama
I am a Realtor who was born in the U.K. and so i can answer your question with ease. Over here property taxes are based on house values just like England and a multiplier (millage) is used but that is where the similarity ends. In Florida the local council can change their valuation every time a house is sold and not very 5 years or so as happens in the U.K. But once it is registered as your primary residence then the annual increases are capped at 3% per annum, which is very useful. However this does not apply to overseas owners because it is not your primary residence and so the council will re-value your house every year according to the market trends.( i.e. they have come down this year). The only positive note is the fact that the council valuations are about 80% of actual. So there are no bands and in theory no limits!.
Please email me if you have any further questions.
Regards Paul
Web Reference:  http://www.paulsold.com