How are property taxes calculated in Simpsonville? Noticed that one home's tax is $1600 vs. another down the road is $4200.

Asked by KP, Simpsonville, SC Thu Nov 21, 2013

Answers

4
Terry Stodda…, Agent, Greer, SC
Thu Nov 21, 2013
A few years back, Greenville County started using Tax Appraisal Value of a property as a basis for calculating the property tax. Two percentages apply: 4% if the home is owner occupied and 6% if it is non-owner occupied like rental property for example. The disparity you ask about could have something to do with the size of the home thus the higher tax appraised value and the aggregate may include back taxes to make it higher.
Is that legal? Paying for somebody else's back taxes?
Flag Sun Jul 20, 2014
Karen Mascaro, Agent, Greenville, SC
Thu Nov 21, 2013
Assuming both homes are within the same millage rate district, the difference could be attributable to several factors. The most common reason for such a difference is usually when an owner does not apply for their residential tax credit making the assessment at 6% rather than at 4%
Please let me know if I can be of assistance if you are buying or selling a home.
Thank you.
Flag Thu Nov 21, 2013
Jason Pruitt, Agent, Greenville, SC
Thu Nov 21, 2013
4% versus 6%. when a home is rated at 4% it means the it is owner occupied and they also get a homestead deduction. if not owner occupied it is 6% with no extra deduction. That is probably the difference.
Let me know if I can help you with your real estate needs.
Flag Thu Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the quick response. This is very helpful.
Flag Thu Nov 21, 2013
Dan Simon, Agent, Charleston, SC
Thu Nov 21, 2013
This is most likely a state of South Carolina issue not so much a Simpsonville issue.

SC has two tax rates. There is a lower rate for owner occupied properties (using a formula that factors 4% of the assessed value). Owners using a property as a rental or 2nd home are taxed at a higher rate (using a formula that factors 6% of the assessed value). The 2% difference in the tax rate can cause the investor/2nd home owner's taxes to more then double. Getting the lower rate is a straight forward process but you need to apply for it.