Chris Taylor, Home Buyer in Reseda, CA

How accurate/up to date are the listings here on trulia? Also, could I have my own RE agent or must I use the listing agent/company?

Asked by Chris Taylor, Reseda, CA Mon Jan 24, 2011

I am starting my home search as I am working with a mortgage company but don't want to waste time looking at things here that aren't current or missing vital information.

Answers

14
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Tue Jan 25, 2011
Hi Chris:

"How accurate/up to date are the listings here on trulia?"

Short answer: Use http://www.realtor.com if you are searching on your own. Ask your Realtor® to place you on an automated MLS search agent if you’re not.

Detailed answer: http://www.trulia.com/blog/steve_ornellas_mba_re_mastersgri/…

"Also, could I have my own RE agent or must I use the listing agent/company?"

Use your own dedicated Buyer's agent! When you use the Seller's agent you enter into a Dual Agency (not to your benefit):
http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Buying/Why_should_I_NOT_us…

Best, Steve
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Wed May 30, 2012
Get your own agent and ask them to send you listings that meet your criteria. That will save you a lot of time and headaches.
Michael Hick…, Agent, Westlake Village, CA
Wed May 30, 2012
Chris, the best way to do that is work with a Realtor. They value your time, but they also value their own, so they will have the most up to date info available to you.

Online sites vary in accuracy; Zillow and Redfin are notorious for faulty info.

Good luck in your search!
Catherine Be…, Agent, Lawndale, CA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Hi Chris,

Trulia has 95% of the information you need and is a great way to get started. However to be able to have 100% of the most up-to-date info. you need to get your information from a Realtor who has access to the Multiple Listing Service in your area. If you are interested, I can set you up with an MLS feed account 9no obligation), I just need a few minutes on the phone to define your parameters and you can get updates daily. Also, working with a knowledgable realtor can get you information on listings that maybe getting ready to be listed, but are not on the MLS yet.

Catherine Bedrossian
Home Sales Pro
(310) 383-4212
catherineb@socalhomefinds.com
Merlin Barri…, Agent, Valencia, CA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Good morning Chris,

I suggest you contact a Realtor, saves you time. Some of these listings on trulia are old, most of these are sold homes.
If you are not yet working with a Realtor, feel free to call me I can gladly assist you finding the right home for you.

Good luck with your home search. Appreciate the opportunity to earn your business.

Merlin Barrientos
Realtor Associate
9324 Reseda Blvd.
Northridge CA 91324
cell: 661 713-8780
merlin1@inbox.com
dre01761948
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Mon Jan 24, 2011
you should absolutely have your own agent. You will get better service and it will be a lot less frustrating for everyone if you work with your own agent.
jo, , Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
HI Chris...The listings on trulia are "mostly" up to date. A lot of times, the agent may or may not have time to post a house as sold etc. but will eventually get around to it.

As far as an agent, you can use anyone that you like. You do not have to go with the listing agent. Remember, the listing agent's duty is to the home seller to get as much as he can for the property.

If you need any help, please feel free to contact me.

Nicholas
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Chris, Trulia doesn't have all the inventory listed and it is not always up to date (Sorry Trulia, as an agent, that has been my experience with my own listings). I recommend you interview and select a Realtor who will be your buyer agent. They should not only use the internet, but other sources depending on your criteria. Some new home communities do not list on the MLS, buyer's agents should also be willing to go outside the box to find your home, searching on FSBO, Craigslist and more on your behalf. Of course for them to do that they are going to ask for you loyalty.

A buyers agent should sit and meet with you, go over what to expect, explain the contract, terminology, time lines, financing options, first time buyer programs, and more.

If you don't know how to find an agent, I can interview and refer you to a couple to interview. Or if you have friends, family, who have used an agent they too can recommend an agent for you.

Good luck, with interest rates low and prices down, it is a good time to research if buying is right for you.
Web Reference:  http://terrivellios.com
Cricket Yee, Agent, Sherman Oaks, CA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Hi Chris, in my opinion, Trulia is great for general research, but when you are ready to search in earnest, it is best to team up with a real estate agent. Trulia keeps listings that are already in escrow on the site until they are sold, so it can sometimes be frustrating to find something then find out later it is not available. You can use any real estate agent you would like, and if you would like, we can meet or chat to help you get started on the process.
Sara Mehrpou…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Hi again Chris. I remember you asking a question before about foreclosure & short sale properties. You may contact me and I will be glad to assist you. I am local to the area and would have the most up to date listings. Working with your own real estate agent is in your best interest and saves you a lot of time as well. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sara Mehrpouyan CDPE
Rodeo Realty
818-903-2040
http://www.athomewithsara.com
Dre#01712757
Email: smehr818@gmail.com
Liliana Alfo…, Agent, Studio City, CA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Hi Chris,
The best person to help you is a real estate agent. He/she has accurate, up-to-date information on the market. Also, your agent will be looking for your best interest. Most of the times, there are private agent remarks that the general public can't see, so that's another reason why you should be represented.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Liliana Alfonso
Dilbeck Real Estate
818-414-0396
liliana2sell@gmail.com
Mike Papanto…, Agent, Arvada, CO
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Chris,
you absolutely should have your own agent. You want someone on your side to represent your interests only. Typically, the sellers pay the real estate agent fees for both their agent and the buyer's agent so you shouldn't have to pay anything for their services. That means you get their knowledge, access to the most updated MLS information and their representations to negotiate on your behalf and to protect your interests for FREE!
I would suggest if you don't know of a good agent, ask people that you know who have recently bought a home or contact the local realtor association in your area for a referral. Always check the agent's referrences and see if the agent was quick to answer calls, responded in a timely manner, was knowledgeable about the area and the process and what their overall feelings were about the agent. Also ask if they had it to over again, would they use this agent. Sometimes, that will tell you more than anything.
Good luck on your search. This is an exciting time and a huge event in your life.
Melissa Bark…, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Your local real estate agent will have the most up-to-date information thru the local MLS system. This site, Realtor.com and others don't have real-time information, so I would be in touch with an agent if you don't already have one to make sure your interest are being looked out for vs relying on the listing agent who is looking for the sellers best interests.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Chris,

The most accurate and dependable information will come from your real estate professional. Real estate websites often take several days or mor to become updated while that agent will have current information as soon as it is entered into the MLS.

Additionally, you should have your OWN personal agent to look out for your best interests.....avoid working with the listing agent, seek your own representation.