Houses in Wayne...

Asked by Sue, 07005 Fri Feb 27, 2009

Hi, I'm looking for the house in Wayne. What do you think about the houses in Willowbrook Mall area? Howbad is the flood? Also, the house in Hobson ave., is it in flood Zone?

Answers

3
Susan Freric…, Agent, Wayne, NJ
Sat Feb 28, 2009
Hi Tanya,

I am a Weichert Realtor in Wayne. Those two areas you mention are right by the river and are considered flood areas. The winter thaw and heavy rains throughout the year cause the river to rise and flood these areas sometimes with much property damage. Do you know how much you can afford to spend monthly on a mortgage? Our office is holding a buyer's seminar on March 10th at 6:30 p.m. This seminar is very informative and our financial services personnel can help you determine what you can afford. There are other homes in Wayne you might want to check out. The seminar is no cost to you. I have tickets.

Sue Frerichs
Weichert Realtors - Wayne
(973)420-9761
Peter J Roge…, Agent, Mahwah, NJ
Sat Feb 28, 2009
Wayne has at least 3 sections that are in the flood zone so you need to be careful. Certainly if the street is West of Rte 23 (or further North West of Black Oak Ridge) is a bit of a red flag - and if the price is under $300,000 thats strike 2.
You really need the help of a realtor in searvhing in a town that has flood prone areas as we have access to the FEMA flood maps which identify those areas.
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Fri Feb 27, 2009
Hi Tanya,

The houses in that area flood regularly. All of Hobson is in a flood zone, and most of it is in the actual floodway. I know the prices on some of these houses can seem compelling, but it's an illusion. You don't want to go through a major flood, and in that area it's a virtual certainty at some point. I remember once, people around the mall area couldn't get to their homes for days. I drove down to take a look and it was frightening. So much awful smelly water and lots of mud! You're better off looking elsewhere. The flood insurance on those homes isn't going to be cheap either.

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Member, Worldwide ERC
Licensed Realtor NJ
Licensed Appraiser NJ & NY
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Agent of the Year 2008
Owner: Sands Appraisal Service, Inc.
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
web: http://www.marcpaolella.com