Karaimynthan, Home Buyer in Frisco, TX

House inspection - new constraction

Asked by Karaimynthan, Frisco, TX Wed Sep 26, 2012

I am buying a new home in Willowbay community in Frisco, TX. This is my first house, and I do not have a realtor, and my house inspection will come soon. Cab you please provide any advise like what should I look for on the inspection, what I can expet to fixed by the home builder, whom should I hire to do the inspoection, any referral, etc.

Melissa Hailey’s answer
Definitely a good idea to hire a 3rd party home inspector. Make sure that you use one that is licensed by TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission). Your home inspector will likely check the home several times throughout the building process. In the future, you should hire a Realtor to represent you (even if you buy new construction again). Your Realtor will make sure that your best interests are being met...the builder/seller has someone working for them, and you should too. There is usually no cost to you as a buyer to have a Realtor represent you. This is likely the largest and most expensive item you have purchased - and you want to make sure your interests are protected.

Melissa Hailey - North Texas Top Team, Realtors
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors

This is a GREAT question.....

Builders will always tell you that there is no need for a private inspection. They will explain that you have a full one year "bumper-to-bumper" warranty that covers everything and a 10 year structural warranty. All of this is true.....BUT, they don't tell you that there can be builder mistakes made by the various sub contractors that get overlooked....yes, even years after living in the home.

We always advise our buyers of new construction homes to have their own personal inspection. The fact of the matter is these inspections nearly always uncover problems...some small and petty, but others that can be major. Some of our new constructions inspections have revealed, black mold in the attic, missing roof tile, unconnected electrical outlets, clogged plumbing vents, missing appliance parts, etc.

The choice is always yours, but for the few dollars that it would cost for an inspection....it may be the best money spent on the project.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 27, 2012
It would have been good to have several inspections during the construction period. However, if the home is almost finished, depend on the licensed inspector you use to guide you. Do not use their inspector as he/she only works for them.
Barbara Coker
Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer
100% Home Loans All Over Texas!
Web Reference: http://www.thecokerteam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 26, 2012
Whether you're buying or selling a home, it's crucial to include a thorough home inspection as part of the process. It's something consumers often overlook because, as we all know, buying or selling a home can get expensive and expenses add up quickly. While it might be tempting to ignore this piece of the puzzle, it's one of those investments that are a real payoff in the end.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 22, 2013
Typically your Home Inspection will alert you to problems in five key areas, and these key areas directly relate to the contract of sale:

1. Foundation: sound and solid
2. Roof free of leaks
3. Plumbing working and leak-free
4. Heating system sufficient and operating
5. Electrical system sufficient and up to code

If there is a serious problem with any of these five items, typically the Seller has a responsibility under the terms of the contract of sale to repair the problem at their expense, not the Purchaser's expense. Sometimes a Purchaser will receive a credit at closing to repair one of these items (assuming the home and the defective issue has not compromised the Lender's appraisal). When the Purchaser receives a credit at closing, the amount of the credit is based upon legitimate estimates for repair and negotiations between the Attorneys representing each party.

Other items you discover are in need of repair/upgrade (i.e. diswasher not operating properly; air conditioner on second floor inoperable, etc.) can be negotiated for a repair credit or replacement at the Seller's expense. Again, these negotiations are handled by the Attorneys.

It is extremely RARE that a purchase price is reduced due to repairs from a Home Inspection. Best to consult with your Attorney for more detailed information in this area.

If you don't already have a good real estate Attorney and you're shopping for homes, you need to reverse your process. First, get properly prequalified for mortgage financing by a Local Mortgage Banker. Second, line up your Attorney. Third, line up your Home Inspector. Fourth, line up a great local Realtor with personal experience in the area in which you'd like to buy.

Trevor Curran
Home ispection are so important and if you are buying a new home, it is better to have that inspection done close to the end of the first year of the purchase. You can have an inspection done prior to move in but consider this, when you buy a new home, it should come with a warranty from the builder. During the course of the first year any noted deviations in the home, windows, floors, foundation and other things are covered. It is like you get to live in the new house after purchase and have the builder to fix any and all within the first year. This is only applicable in 'New homes' not pre-owned and make sure a warranty from the builder comes with the home. Since you don't have representation, give me a call and allow me to work for you, As a buyer, you don't pay me. The builder will pay me to represent you and get you the best deal.

Kathy Hines/Broker
Keller Williams Dallas Preston
I am glad you realize that you need a home inspection even for new construction. I have a personal story - my son-in-law did not want to spend the money for an inspection on a new home, but I insisted. There was a heating duct that was not connected and some other minor issues so he was very glad that he had the inspection. There are many good inspectors, the two here John Sanfstrom and Darrel Tinglov and they can explain how it all works. Good luck.
There COULD be legal issues for any Realtor provide you advice ... we don't represent you . I would have recommended to work with a real estate agent for all steps involved.

SAD many people BELIEVE they can do real estate themselves... WHERE things go wrong TOOOO late for a Realtor or attorney become involved. Save a few $,$$$ without an agent BUT on the largest purchase any family will ever make their life .. .never adds up to me personally or professionally.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
News Personality On Air Radio Show
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer

Follow me on Facebook
I agree with everyone who has responded to your question so far; I live in the Villages at Willow Bay in a home built by First Texas Homes; I'd like to offer more info to you, so please contact me anytime.

Michael L. Brownstead, GRI
Ebby Halliday Realtors®
8920 Coit Rd., Ste. 100Plano, TX 75025
E-mail: MichaelBrownstead@Ebby.com
Without a buyer's agent to negotiate for you, you are starting out at a disadvantage. You definitely want a 3rd party home inspector. Some builders encourage this if they are confident with their construction. Other builder sales agents will strongly discourage inspectors since they know there will be issues requiring repair.

I have inspected many new homes with issues that need to be repaired or replaced. Safety hazards are routinely discovered as well.

Systematic Home Inspections
Why did you choose to not have a Realtor represent you? The builders sales person only works for the builder. Yeah, sure, they make you feel like you are getting the best deal but you didn't. Why do you now ask for Realtor assistance regarding inspections. Ask the builders representive. I'm sure he will give you a good referral.
Professional inspectors follow a form that checks all of the systems, structure, and functionality of everything in the home. Consider them generalist in terms of the health of a house. If they feel that a specialist is required, such as a roof, foundation or engineering question, they will recommend that you follow up with that specialist. Typically this isn't necessary on new construction. Provide the builder with the inspector's report and they should be willing to correct any problems. The inspector can help you spot cosmetic finishes that need to be fixed by the builder, but is is more your responsibility.

Basically, if you don't like something, ask that they fix it. Before you close is your best opportunity to get the builder to make it right. Don't expect everything to be perfect on the first walk thru. This is why you need the inspection.

Call Darrel Tinglov with Professional Property Inspections. (214) 726-1335. inspector4304@gmail.com

Very experienced. He even teaches classes for other inspectors. He is professional and will explain the results to you as well as provide a written report. Remember, the builder isn't working for you, so hire your own inspector who does represent your interest.

Patrick Jackson