House backing into Rt-518 - how bad?

Asked by pg, Warren, NJ Sun Mar 10, 2013

We are looking to buy a house that backs into Rt-518 (Georgetown and Franklin Tpk). We wanted to know how bad the traffic on that road gets? Is it safe to have a house backing into that kind of busy road? How much does it affect the resale of the house? I am sure the way we are concerned about buying it, similarly others wud have the same concern.

Any help is appreciated !

Answers

8
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Mar 26, 2014
Why entertain what other people think or say, another's opinion may not be anywhere near the best thing for you; more importantly research on your own and re-visit the area more than once and at different times of day, perhaps chat with locals/neighbors, watch traffic patterns, listen for noise, etc., then determine if your comfort level can be reached....
Andrew Chang, Agent, Hillsborough, NJ
Wed Mar 26, 2014
It is not just traffic, but the safety if you have any child (or children)

SkyBridge Realty
achanghomes@gmail.com
Yes, I agree... parents should keep their children off of ANY road ;-)
Flag Wed Mar 26, 2014
carolyn lasar, Home Seller, Skillman, NJ
Tue Mar 18, 2014
I would suggest visiting at different times of day to hear what it's like both inside and outside the house. Having lived on a busy road I can relate to your concern. In our case the house was an old one with thick walls and double hung windows. The noise inside turned out to be of little concern, especially at night when there was very little traffic. The house was situated with a large back yard away from the road and the road noise was negligible. It did not at all interfere with our enjoyment of the property or house. And in fact being on a major road meant we got plowed and salted first when it snowed! Good luck!
Andrew Chang, Agent, Hillsborough, NJ
Mon Mar 17, 2014
A house close to a buys road, such as 518, can be a problem. You'll get road traffic noise and safety concerns.

If you have any young children, or thinking of having one or more, definitely stay away from busy road.

If you are a light sleeper, then do not buy this house.

If you are a value investor, or thinking of any future potential (such as property conversion or commercial development), then it can be a bargain.
CH Tai, Agent, Hopewell Township, NJ
Fri Mar 14, 2014
RT 518 runs between Kendall Park and Lambertsville. Traffic moves smoothly, most of time.
During rush hours, you may have to wait for two or three traffice cycle at the intersection of Rt 206 and Rt 501(Great Road). Otherwise, it is not a big issue.
Mon Sep 23, 2013
Depends the time of day and exact location. It's tough during rush hour. Not bad otherwise.
Lee Ann Mela…, Agent, Bridgewater, NJ
Mon Mar 11, 2013
My suggestion is to observe the traffic at peak times, like rush hour and see how you feel about the noise. Since you will be using your back yard, the noise level will be a factor. Planting trees to screen the traffic and give you privacy is another suggestion if you choose to purchase the home.
It does affect the property resale value. I am sure that the location was taken into account when they priced the property and if not, you will consider that in your possible offer. Remember, the one thing you can not change is the location.
The vast majority of buyers look for Cul-de-sac locations for quiet & saftey.
Whatever you decide, my best to you.
Lee Ann Melancon
Your 2012 Five Star Award Winning Broker/Agent
RE/MAX Preferred Professionals
O:908-685-0700 Ext 18
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Mon Mar 11, 2013
You are spot on - anything that is causing you to pause as you buy the home will have the same impact on future buyers when you go to sell. Though you can change many things about a home, the one thing you cannot change is its location. A location issue will likely negatively impact the price a buyer is willing to pay and also the time it takes to sell the home.

I would expect that you are seeing this play out on the home you are considering now. If you were to place that home on a lot that did not have that negative location issue, it would likely cost more.

My recommendation on evaluating the roadway is to visit the location yourself on various days/time of day so that you can make the assessment yourself. Spend time both inside and outside the home so that you can assess the audio and visual impact.

It is always best to proceed with any transaction with eyes wide open - this will allow you to do just that.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unawavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results