Home Inspection Report

Asked by Anne G, Oceanside, NY Thu Feb 12, 2009

After I get a Home Inspection on a Prospective Property, and the property needs many repairs, am I obligated to give a copy of the report to the seller?

Answers

7
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Anne,

Great question.....

The next step is to create a cover letter to be sent to the owner's listing agent that requests the identified repairs to be made. It is not necessary to provide the entire report but the overview page and supporting pictures with descriptions of the work to be done should be noted.

We recommend also requesting reciepts to document the work has been done,

The Eckler Team
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Sun Feb 15, 2009
Actually, you are required to give a copy of the home inspection report to the seller in California (paragraph 9b of the C.A.R. Purchase Agreement). I am willing to bet that other state contracts have a similar obligation.
Dp2, , Virginia
Thu Feb 12, 2009
No, you're not required to give the seller a copy of the report; however, if you intend to readjust your offer price based upon the results of the report, then it might help to strengthen your argument to at least show the seller a copy of the summary of the report--assuming you're still interested in purchasing the home.
Joshua Zarga…, Other Pro, Lynbrook, NY
Wed May 12, 2010
You had paid for the inspection, the report is yours.
If you had signed a contract you need to speak to your attorney about how to deal with the problem.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Feb 15, 2009
No, you are not required--however, should there be unanticipated cosly repairs and wish to either have the seller repair or dollars off, do give a copy to your attorney so that it can be discussed with the seller's attorney.
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Fri Feb 13, 2009
You're certainly not obligated to provide it but if you want the work done, I would provide the pages to the seller's attorney through your attorney. Cosmetic repairs are usually something that the seller may refuse to do since it is structural or systemic and you could have seen the cosmetic issues before you made your offer. Good luck in your home search and I hope everything works out if you've already found the home you desire. If I can help in some way, please feel free to contact me.

Ralph Windschuh
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Thu Feb 12, 2009
Anne
You have a REaltor, right?
What do they advise?

In most cases buyers use an inspection report to negotiate either repairs (made by a professional, proof of work completed is required) or an allowance on the sale price. I think that giving them a copy of the report might make your case stronger.