Homebuyer, Home Buyer in Cedar Grove, NJ

Highview Homes at the Arbors At Cedar Grove. I am interested in purchasing a home there. It is a community of 15 new homes. I was told that three are

Asked by Homebuyer, Cedar Grove, NJ Mon Jan 11, 2010

still available. From their website, the list price starts at $499,950 but the three available have asking price over $600,000. Can I negotiate the price just as I would make an offer to exisitng home? What are the questions I need to ask when buying a new home, not yet built? I would appreciate all comments. Thank you. angkorean@yahoo.com

Answers

6
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Mon Jan 11, 2010
Hi there, yes you can negotiate with the price on a "to be" constructed home. Your best bet is to visit the property with your agent, if you don't, or if you have already register with the sales office without an agent, the builder may not honor the relationship. I believe you will negotiate a better price with an agent's assistance than without. The agent working on your behalf will have access to comparable data, and will be able to negotiate more firmly with the builder/sales rep on your behalf.

I checked the pricing on the website as well - homes look very nice and good values for new construction. But I'm sure we can negotiate to improve the deal - either in $$ terms outright or softly through features/add-ons.

I'd be honored to assist you - please do not hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of service.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwaveing Commitment to Service
Search the MLS at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Carl Ben Wit…, Agent, Upper Montclair, NJ
Wed Feb 10, 2010
It is now 3 weeks later and builder has not responded to me either. There is just one of them and thousands of us agents. Maybe it illustrates the value of working with a professional when buying a home. But frankly, there is so little new construction in this part of NJ that anything could be going on. Reputation of builder is major but hard to discover sometimes. A reputable broker/agent would help is such cases. Absent this, a builder must warranty the contruction according to law. An experienced RE attorney in NJ is vital, always. You can also, or your agent, visit the town's inspection office and ask questions as to quality and code issues, maybe speak to inspector. You can't be too diligent with a major investment like a home. Use all the resources available. Keep us informed on any results you have. Carl.
Mon Jan 18, 2010
It seems you have already seen them on your own, so usually an agent cannot earn a commission and help you. It appears that the builder has a sales office, you called 732 530-9191 I presume. If there are only 2 left, maybe they feel they are doing well enough. I too called and get a message box. If they will honor a buyer's agent commission, maybe I can help after all. I will let you know.
Homebuyer, Home Buyer, Cedar Grove, NJ
Mon Jan 18, 2010
Thank you for your answers/comment.

Carl...sorry I did not stop by the open house. I didn't see the answer until it was too late.
Jean...I asked my agent to contact the builders, they never respond. My agent suggested that I contact the builder on my own to start the conversation. He would help if I need. I try calling them, e-mail them but no answer or call back for the last two weeks. I guess I will be looking to buy elsewhere.
Sun Jan 17, 2010
Well, I had 13 buyers to Open House and am bushed. You did not show up, and I am disappointed. Unlike the previous answer, I wonder how a builder feels giving up a buyer's agent commission along with a reduced price? I don't believe that you can count on a negotiable price at this early stage. There is no comparable data for this subdivision. For all you know the price is already more than a bargain. Would you price the house above its value in a slow market? If the seller builder gave you a better price than list, how would that effect other buyers? IMO all too many people hope to buy a house like they buy cars or garage sale items. Also, the financing of unfinished subdivisons, to a lender, carrys added risk for them. Will the builder be able to complete the planned units, for example? Take it from me, 'buyer beware' is always the best course in real estate. This is no time to use axioms from 3-5-even 10 years ago. But definitely get help with your decision.
Sun Jan 17, 2010
I am holding an Open House today in Cedar Grove, 40 Westland Rd. It is a 8 Rm, 4-BR, 2 bath colonial with two BRs on first floor along with full bath. $399,000. Come by and we can talk.