Hi there! I am a newly wed who's looking to purchase a double wide (within a community) or anything that could possibly be under $95,000 in the

Asked by braines, Roseville, CA Wed Dec 18, 2013

Roseville, CA area (preferably close to Douglas Blvd.) if anyone can help assist me with my search, please feel free to reply.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Fri Dec 20, 2013
Thought I'd share a little information with you regarding Factory Built Housing. I've been very involved with this industry for 3 decades. It's a very good way to acquire affordable housing in today's real estate environment, however, there are a few things you need to know before you venture down that road.

You really should start with the park manager. You will have to fill out an application and be approved by them before you even make an offer on a manufactured home in a rental park

Be sure to have it thoroughly inspected by an experienced MH inspector and not just any home inspector as there are several nuances with MHs that you don't have in a conventional site-built home and most home inspectors not familiar with these nuances will not even know what to look for.

Make sure the inspector crawls under the home and thoroughly inspects each and every pier and pad assembly for rust, deterioration and decomposition if steel and for decomposition if concrete as homes close to the ocean can be severely impacted by salt.

They should also make sure the home is level by checking all the doors and windows to make sure that they are not swinging or sticking and that all the strike plates on the doors are properly aligned and the doors close soundly.

The inspector should also inspect the steel mainframe for rust and decomposition as well. I can't tell you how many mainframes we've had to repair that were suffering and in some cases even failing from rust and deterioration related issues.

Be sure and have the inspector check for rips and tears in the vapor barrier under the floor. If there are openings in this membrane it could allow the insulation under the floor to become compromised and even fall on the ground.

Openings in the vapor barrier are also a great place for rodents and cats to habitate and reproduce. We've eradicated countless critters from these cavities over the years and it's not a very pleasant experience.

Finally and very importantly make sure the home has a California State Housing and Community Development Department (HCD) certified earthquake resistant bracing system (ERBS) as most areas in California are classified as a Zone 4 earthquake area which holds a high probability of risk for a seismic event..

We are a California licensed and experienced manufactured home and general contractor and manufactured home dealer, developer and real estate brokerage with decades of experience in the MH industry.

Please feel free to contact us anytime at 800 909-1110; cell: 760 815-6977. Or email us at onthelevel@cox.net.

Please feel free to log onto any of our very user friendly websites:
http://www.mh-processing.com http://www.tagrealestatesales.com http://www.chadofalltrades.com http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com

Also be aware that the MH is a PRE HUD, built before June 15, 1976. Mobile Homes built up to 1979 are known to have caustic (formaldehyde) and carcinogenic (asbestos) chemicals in the insulation, popcorn ceilings, acoustical tile, particle board sub floors and perhaps even countertops.
You really should start with the park manager. You will have to fill out an application and be approved by them before you even make an offer on a manufactured home in a rental park. But you should also make sure you have the home inspected by an experienced manufactured home inspector and not just any home inspector.
Web Reference:  http://www.mh-processing.com
0 votes
Teri Andrews…, Agent, Auburn, CA
Thu Dec 19, 2013
There is a family park in Loomis, but most of the parks do not allow large dogs, most limit to one small dog or cat.

Are you getting a loan to purchase?
If yes some things to talk with your loan officer when looking at condos, does the development qualify? If there are too many rentals in the development you may not be able to get a loan for that community.
Mobile homes are handled by different lenders, if you need some names contact me directly.
I usally recommend my mobile home buyers talk to the park manager up front, to make sure they qualify financially and are ok with the park rules.
0 votes
braines, , Roseville, CA
Wed Dec 18, 2013
I would consider it! The only problem is that I have two medium sized (46lbs and the other is 57lbs) and I'm not sure if I can find a condo that would allow anything other than small dogs.
0 votes
Generally condos do not have pet restrictions like apartments do, because the unit is owned by the occupant rather than rented. It would be more a matter of how you would handle the pets' "needs" if you know what I mean :)
Flag Thu Dec 19, 2013
Karen McPhail, Agent, Roseville, CA
Wed Dec 18, 2013
I don't know of any MH communities in Roseville that are NOT for people 55+. Would you consider a condo? There are condos in Roseville and Rocklin that might suit your needs, and the monthly HOA cost on them might be lower than the space rental you would usually find in mobile home communities. Just an option. If you want more info on condos, I am happy to help.
My email is kmcphail@golyon.com
0 votes
braines, , Roseville, CA
Wed Dec 18, 2013
Teri, we are looking for a place that is not 55+. Thank you for the responses!
0 votes
MaryLou Hovie, Agent, Roseville, CA
Wed Dec 18, 2013
I am happy to assist you. You can write me direct (find me on my profile page on Trulia).

0 votes
Or call me at 916-709-1280
Flag Wed Dec 18, 2013
Teri Andrews…, Agent, Auburn, CA
Wed Dec 18, 2013
Are you looking for an over 55 park or a family park?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more