kammhron, Home Buyer in Lancaster, PA

Hi all, What are the disadvantages of living next to a cornfield, or farmland in general? Odors, critters, traffic etc? Thanx.

Asked by kammhron, Lancaster, PA Tue Mar 4, 2014

Answers

4
I have lived next to farmland my whole life. Every once in a while we will have the farmer's cats and dogs in our back yard. It's not a big deal to us because we know the farmer very well. The only thing that is really off putting of living next to farmland is when they spread the manure. I know it is sad to say but the smell does not effect me any more. But for someone who are not use to it the smell can be horrible. One piece of advice I can give you is to meet the farmer and become friends with them. They can be really nice and very helpful!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 4, 2014
All that corn. Then one day, there is no corn. Then in May, they plant more corn. All that corn. then one day in August, the corn is gone.
-
When I lived in a place that had no corn, there was my neighbor and all their family. They were LARGE and LOUD. And the neighbor across the street and all their cars. And all those where there was no corn felt is ok to leave the garage door up 8 inches so their night prowling cat could leave paw prints all over my car...every night!. And all the school kids were spewing snack pack wrappers where ever they went. And every weekend, there were the leaf blowers screaming, the smell of 2 cycle engines, and people everywhere....some of them thinking they were suitable to parade about shirtless. and every one is such a hurry. If the garage door closed before you could get their attention, you may NEVER meet them.

Back at the cornfield, whether you are acquainted or not 'Hi Harm' is the acknowledgement of your presence. At the cornfield, folks appreciate the demonstration of responsibility and self sufficiency.
At the cornfield, when trouble visits your house, they don't say, "Call me if I can do anything for you?" but they show up, tools in hand, taking care of what needs taken care of.

At the cornfield, you can expect your friends and neighbors to move mountains for you because you were willing to move mountains for them. Read that again..s l o w l y .

If critters and odors are your concern....the cornfield may not be the best choice for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 4, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reply! It was quite informative & amusing. Manure & critters ( except the 2 legged ones) don't bother us & we always find it peaceful near the cornfields & just love the views! We are planning a move from the "city" & are just gathering info & advice. The cornfields are looking better & better! We will heed your words of wisdom. Best wishes.
Flag Tue Mar 4, 2014
The country is the absolute best part of Lancaster County. I was born and raised in the Southern End and I'll never leave. Crickets and creeks lull you to sleep at night and cool, fresh air blows through your home with the windows open. During the harvest you may hear the machines or the Amish working but it's so worth it. They often bring pies and cookies at Christmas Time and you can hand them out too! The only disadvantage I see is that when the corn is up you can't always see the sprawling hills.

P.S. The critters will most likely stay in the field :) I've never noticed it. If you've already moved I hope you're enjoying it!!
We lived next to farm and it smelled a lot off fruit ville pike . Moved to east Hemfield off centerville rd and didnot have any problem there. Good schools and very easy access to freeway, low taxes, close to the mall and health campus