Hi! I was wondering if it was better to buy a smaller attached condo in Westpark or a bigger detached condo

Asked by Shirley, Anaheim, CA Sat Dec 29, 2007

in Woodbury. I'm really unfamiliar with the property value in Orange County. However, I've heard that Westpark is a good area to buy. Thank you for your advice!

Answers

7
Amanda Wheel…, , Irvine, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2007
Both areas of Irvine are very nice and highly desirable. For re-sale and living purposes, you would do better with a detached condo. With a detached condo, you don't have to worry nearly as much as noisy neighbors and when it comes time to sell, detached condos are easier to sell than attached ones. I would look at what you can get in Woodbury in the price range you are looking at and then compare that to Westpark. For example, there is a detached condo in Woodbury, 2bed/2ba 1144 sq. ft. for $539,000 and an attached condo 2bed/2ba 1200 sq. ft. attached condo in Westpark for $418,000 (or 900 sq. ft. for $359,900). That's more than $100,000 price difference, but you will also need to look at the other differencs aside from price and weigh those in as well. For example, the Woodbury condo comes with a 2-car garage, as opposed to Westpark which is a 1-car garage. Have a 2-car garage for a 2-bedroom condo is much nicer than having a 1-car garage.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your search!

~Amanda Wheeland
Real Estate Broker & Lawyer
Web Reference:  http://www.cinch2sell.com
Harrison K.…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Mon Nov 10, 2008
Shirley ... good question about Irvine's Woodbury ... or Westpark. Both are very nice areas. Westpark was built out by the Irvine Co between 1986 and 89, and it is farther toward the west end of Irvine. Woodbury is one of the newest communities here .. located toward to east side ... and is still being built out. Woodbury has much newer homes, which are popular. Woodbury also has very nice city and community parks. The Mello Roos taxes are higher at Woodbury. Both of these area have real pluses. Check them both out for yourself by driving around. And call us if you have questions.

If you are interested to buy a home or property here in South OC, call us. If you want to check out the best search web site, see
http://www.BuyersExploreHomes.com

Harrison K. Long
Realtor and Broker
Coldwell Banker Previews, Irvine, CA
Amanda Wheel…, , Irvine, CA
Mon Dec 31, 2007
Costa Mesa is an appealing area to buy in because you tend to get more for your money than Newport Beach and Irvine. Parts of Irvine and Newport Beach have held their value better than others, while other parts have not, so it's hard to generalize by city. It would be easier to break it down by zip code. It would be a great idea to ask whichever agent you choose to work with to provide you with this information. As agents, we have access to all of the closed sales and can provide you with a graph showing the relative increases and decreases for each area.

Your concern about purchasing a property built in 1977 or earlier is well founded. For re-sale purposes, the older the home, the longer it will take to sell. You may also see an increase in electrical or plumbing problems with older homes if they have not been well maintained. Moreover, even if the home has been completely remodeled, it will still be undesirable to some buyers who want to purchase a home built within the last 5 or 10 years. Since Irvine and Newport Beach both have a lot of new developments, you would definitely be competing with these properties when it comes to resale.

I hope this helps! Feel free to post additional questions or contact me directly if you need additional help.

~Amanda Wheeland
Real Estate Broker & Lawyer
Shirley, Home Buyer, Anaheim, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2007
First, thank you so much for all of your helpful responses! I hope that I'm not taking too much of your time! To answer, I've been primarily looking at Irvine property because (1) it's closer to my work (Costa Mesa), (2) it's in a good school district and has colleges around it (I don't have any children yet, but considering this due to re-sale value), and (3) it's a safe and nice area. I've heard that for the cities surrounding the Costa Mesa area, Irvine and Newport have somewhat maintained its market value in comparison to other OC cities. Is this true? Do you think it is worth it to buy older property (ie: built in 1977)? It seems like there is a lot of older property on the market. However, I'm a little hesitant to purchase it because it will probably require a lot of upgrades. Am I approaching this in the wrong way? Again, thank you so much for your time and help! Your input is extremely helpful!
Amanda Wheel…, , Irvine, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2007
I would put all options on the table as the inventory is really high right now and it is definitely a buyer's market, which translates into good buying opportunities in virtually every part of Orange County. One of the first things I would want to know is whether you will be commuting to a job outside the home and if so where the job is located. I find that the quality of life is much higher when you don't have to spend a lot of time on the freeway each day.

If the commute is not an issue, my next question would be whether you have an school-aged children. If so, you would probably want to factor in school rankings in choosing a place to live.

If neither of those are an issue, I would look at other must haves for your new home. That should help narrow down your search a bit.

I hope that helps! Feel free to post additional questions as you search for your new home!

~Amanda Wheeland
Real Estate Broker & Lawyer
Patti Philli…, , Carlsbad, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2007
Shirley, I would also agree with Amanda, in that a "detached condo" will be more desirable to many more people. The privacy, additional garage space, etc. makes it something that more people will want. If you can afford that I would definately go for it!
Shirley, Home Buyer, Anaheim, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2007
Hi Amanda, thank you so much for your very informative response! Do you recommend considering other orange county cities? Thank you again for your input! I really appreciate your time and help.