Hi, I'm still working on a house in Lebanon. The owner did some renovation work on electrical and plumbing

Asked by Wayne Happ, Califon, NJ Thu Dec 27, 2007

when they occupied it. My reading of the Tewksbury code says that in this case a permit is not required. Is this correct? Would it also be advisable to have a licensed electrician inspect it? I'll go ask the town these questions, but I want to have an idea what the answers will be before opening my big mouth.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bill Endress, Home Seller, Lebanon, NJ
Fri Mar 14, 2008
Isn't Lebanon part of Clinton Township, not Tewksbury?
1 vote
There is Lebanon Boro, Lebanon Twp (north of Califon/Clinton Twp), and Tewksbury. Tewksbury is its own town but has no zip code. Clinton Twp is its own town but uses Annadale and Lebanon zip code. Lebanon Boro is its own town and hosts the PO 08833. Lebanon Twp uses Glen Gardner Zip
Flag Fri May 2, 2014
Justin Kilis…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Sun Dec 30, 2007
Yes, Emmanuel is correct, you need a permit for all work done on the home. However as the homeowner, you can perform all the work yourself, with a detailed permit taken out and listing everything you intend to do. You do not need to be a "licensed" person. If you have the knowledge and it passes the town inspectors inspection, then he/she will approve your permit.
Web Reference:  http://www.agentjustin.com
1 vote
Robert Kohrs, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Fri May 2, 2014
Good idea. Thanks for entry.
0 votes
Catherine We…, Agent, Oldwick, NJ
Mon Apr 12, 2010
Call the townshiip building department on route 512 in Tewksbury. 908-832-5552. Have the Block and Lot info and they will help you understand.They are most helpful and it depends upon what was done.
The 08833 zip is most likely for Tewksbury Township. That zip covers 3 towns.
0 votes
Molly C. Wer…, Agent, Clinton, NJ
Sun Feb 14, 2010
Whenever you touch water or electric, you need a permit.
0 votes
Emmanuel Sca…, , Collin County, TX
Fri Dec 28, 2007
Hello Wayne,

According to the Tewksbury TWP WEB site FAQ (see reference below) all plumbing and all electrical work requires a permit. I would expect (in my opinion) they are referring to all significant work and not necessarily minor repairs. I would speak to Tewksbury TWP code officials for the exact definition of the scope of work that requires a permit.

If the electrical and plumbing required more than just normal repairs, i.e. replacement of portions of these systems, I would certainly look at having the work inspected by a professional, licensed and competent plumber and an electrician. If these items were required to be permitted and were not you might always encounter a potential for not obtaining a certificate of occupancy or potentially issues obtaining insurance for the property. To use an old phrase "When in doubt, check it out!".

Good luck on your project!

Emmanuel Scanlan
License# 7593

"Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!"


What requires a permit?

Permits are required for the following work:
Any type of new building (homes, sheds, barns),additions, add a level, dormers, swimming pools (above and below ground), sheds greater than 100 square feet (all sheds need zoning approval), finished basements, fireplaces and wood stoves, pole barns and run-in sheds, hot water heaters, boilers, furnaces (new and replacements), new air conditioning, gas piping (to grills, gas logs and gas appliances), sewer and water connections, radon mitigation, oil and gas tank removals, fire and burglar alarm systems, all plumbing work, all electrical work, siding, roofing, windows (new and replacement), oil and propane tanks (new and replacement).
Web Reference:  http://www.psinspection.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more