Hi, I'm new Tenafly resident and what bothers me most is annoying noise of industrial train somewhere nearby. Is it heard in all Tenafly or only?

Asked by Sleepless In Tenafly, 07670 Wed Sep 16, 2009

in my location near Knickerbocker and Riveredge Streets? What area would be better if I decide to move?

Answers

4
Ed Carbone’s answer
Ed Carbone, Agent, Hackensack, NJ
Sun Mar 10, 2013
I grew up in Tenafly and lived within ear shot of the train. I would say if you lived above engle street to the east or near knickerbocker to the west you probably won't hear the train most nights. Below those areas going toward the center of town, Hudson ave to the north, the Englewood border to the south, you will here the train. Hope that helped. Broker Owner, METRO REALTY PARTNERS 201-870-0298
Andybeth3, Home Buyer, Arlington, VA
Sun Jan 27, 2013
As Paul Simon says - "Everyone love the sound of a train in the distance..."
Karen Seeman, Agent, Tenafly, NJ
Thu Aug 12, 2010
Did you ever decide to move or have you enjoyed living in your wonderful negihborhood? By the way, I wonder if we've met? I live by that section of Tenafly too. If you're sensitive to noise like my husband is, you notice those sounds more on days when sleeplessness occurs anyway. Barbara's answer was very thorough.

My husband awakes if I turn over or get up. For a short time we lived less than 1 block from that train. Because we were in a concrete building, or because we were concentrating on something else, the sound of the train never affected us at all. We moved back and we hear it all of the time. Go figure! We human beings are fickle.
Barbara Weis…, Agent, Tenafly, NJ
Sat Sep 19, 2009
The train you're hearing is the freight train that runs through Bergenfield directly west of where you are located. It's a long freight train that runs several times daily. What I can tell you is that after a while you become acclimated to it and it no longer bothers you. At least that's how it is for most people.

Frankly, I've heard the train living much further east of your location in Tenafly. However, I've never heard it mentioned by anyone in Tenafly as having any impact on the value of their home and I've never factored it into any evaluation I've done on homes in Tenafly, NJ.

Most people find that it just takes a while to get acclimated to sounds in a new home. When my parents moved us into our new house when I was a young child, we quickly learned that our block was where the fire siren was located. Every day at 7 pm it would blast for about one minute. Believe it or not, after a while, we no longer noticed it. Hopefully you will soon get to the point where the train sounds no longer bother you.

As far as moving is concerned, this is something you should very carefully decide upon. In addition to the sales price of the house, you have had closing costs and moving this quickly will not allow you to sell the house at a price that will absorb all of your costs which means you will take a loss. While I understand that peace of mind is worth a tremendous amount, before you leap into a move, try to find some other solution. If you need some advice on how to sound proof your bedroom, why not go over to the local hardware store in town, Benjamin Brothers? They are terrific people and may have some inexpensive answers for you. If you need to find a handyman or contractor for other opinions as to how to solve the problem, you can contact me through my website.

There's nothing you can do to get rid of the train noise - the trick is to find a workable and affordable solution before you do something that will hurt you.