Hi! I just recently found a home listed in Savannah, Ga that I would like to buy. I have bad credit. Help?

Asked by Clarissa Stivers, 31419 Sat Feb 8, 2014

I have to be in a place by the end of the year because my grandparents are moving to Hawaii. I have a friend coming to live with me and because he runs a business from home (computer repair) we have to be in a house. Because of a situation with him I cannot rent a place.

Answers

2
Joe Iannacone, Agent, Savannah, GA
Sat Feb 8, 2014
You need to contact several local lenders who can work with youo to find out exactly where you are credit wise and what needs to be done to get you a home. CALL ME at 908-930-3247 and I can reccomend several lenders who will work with you to get you moving towards a home purchase.
Rodney Mason, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Atlanta, GA
Sat Feb 8, 2014
Hi Clarissa,
I would suggest that you start working on your credit ASAP. To begin improving your credit score, you would need to contact each of your creditors directly to see what your options are. Paying off derogatory debt will help improve your credit score in the long run, but not immediately.

With collection accounts, most of the damage is done when they are initially placed on your credit report. Some collection companies are now reporting you are late each month the debt goes unpaid. This continues to drag on many people’s credit scores each month until the debt is paid in full. Until you do that, your credit score has little chance of improving.

In exchange for paying the collection account in full, you can try to negotiate to have them completely remove the derogatory item once the payment is received. Some collection agencies will do this, while others will not. You will just have to ask each one and see. If they will not remove it, just having it paid and closed will help in the long run.

All liens and judgments will also need to be paid in full. These impact the title position of a mortgage so they must be satisfied.

It is very important that you be VERY careful in disputing accounts. You cannot dispute accounts which you know to be accurate. For a mortgage, you cannot have an active and open account that has a disputed status. Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac/HUD all have very specific guidelines to be followed when a borrower has an account in a disputed status. In some cases, it could cause you not to be able to qualify.

To build positive credit, you typically need to have 2-3 trade lines reporting for 12-24 months. There should be no late payments or other derogatory items reported in the last 12-24 months. On your Revolving credit accounts, your outstanding balance on your monthly statement should not exceed 30% of the credit limit.

Working with a knowledgeable and seasoned loan officer is critical in today's market. Getting Pre-Qualified is the only way for you to find out your options. To get Pre-Qualified for your purchase, you can submit your request online at http://www.rodneymason.com to get started.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
rodney.mason@prospectmtg.com
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia with over a decade of mortgage lending experience.

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203(k) Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing.
Web Reference:  http://www.rodneymason.com
For an FHA mortgage, most lenders have required a 640+ credit score since 2008/2009.

Prospect Mortgage is one of the few direct lenders to offer an FHA 580-639 FICO loan program. Credit profile is a major factor in a mortgage approval. Generally, there should be no late payments, new collections accounts/charge-offs/liens/judgments in the last 12 months. It is required that all open collection accounts must be paid in full if their cumulative balances exceed $1,000.

The 3.5% minimum down payment can be from the borrowers own funds or it can be gifted from a family member. Two months of reserves for the PITI (Principal + Interest + Taxes + Insurance) payment + HOA Dues will be required. This must be from the borrower’s own funds and not a gift. FHA loans will allow a seller contribution toward closing costs/pre-paids of up to 6% of the sales price.

You will also need a verified 12 month on time housing history. This will need to be verified by either 12 months of cancelled check or by a Verification of Rent from your management company.
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014