Help with buying a home in Chicago with unpaid taxes from 2012/2013?

Asked by Tony, Chicago, IL Fri May 2, 2014

Looking to purchase a home with unpaid taxes from years 2012 and 1st payment of 2013 (roughly 16k total). No delinquent taxes or tax sales. Can I use this to my advantage during the sale (negotiation)? Working with the home owner directly, no agents. If there is nothing I can do to help facilitate the sale, is there anything I should put in my contract to cover myself as a buyer?

Answers

2
Jeff Nobleza, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri May 2, 2014
Hire a broker to advise you. Your question seems to indicate you should do that.
Ron Krauch, Agent, Crestwood, IL
Sat May 10, 2014
There are reasons people employ real estate brokers and attorneys. One of the many is to accurately answer questions like this one. In this case, if you do not want a broker, their experience and access to the proper forms and contacts in the legal community; you should seek competent legal advice.

A competent attorney will advise you on the pros and cons in the situation you describe. I wish you well.