Hello...after seeing the responses to my questions on Trulia, this morning I drove around Washington/Heights/TC Jester

Asked by Pat, Houston, TX Tue Jan 1, 2013

I could see lot of townhomes but wasn't sure what the difference between those were. I felt most of them appeared to be Stucco...is that recommended? Can you provide guidance on how to value these townhomes and what to expect? I'm hoping to stay in the 300-350k price range....would really prefer below 300-k. Any opinions on Urban living?

Answers

15
Karla Villan…, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Jan 1, 2013

There is stucco, brick, etc., a home's exterior is more than just appearance; it also can determine resale value and even energy efficiency. Please see the following link on exteriors.

http://realtormag.realtor.org/home-and-design/architecture-c…

Regarding urban living, well is a matter if you like being close to downtown and must of all the action Houston has to offer, if you have a family, the suburbs is what I would recommend because is more quite, you can find a larger home with more lot space for your family in the same price range, in the urban living cost is a bit higher and less patio/lot space because of the location.

Give me a call if you have any further questions.

832-788-5948
Persis Behra…, Agent, Cinco Ranch, TX
Thu Jan 3, 2013
Hello Pat, they have an office showroom somewhere around Washington street. I have been there a couple of times. They build and sell townhomes. As my peers have mentioned, do make sure you are represented by an agent on your side - it does not cost you anything.

Best wishes

Persis
713-294-7747
Persis.realtor@gmail.com
Persis Behra…, Agent, Cinco Ranch, TX
Thu Jan 3, 2013

Best wishes

Persis
713-294-7747
Persis.realtor@gmail.com
Patti Fleming, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Good Evening Pat,

Urban Living is simply a Real Estate firm that markets Town Homes. They may possibly even represent the Seller in many cases. It is important for you the Buyer to be Fully represented by a Knowledgeable "Buyers Agent" that is familiar with this area and has a working knowledge of the Builders and the neighborhoods. Remember, a Buyers Agent will look out for your best interest and be sure and represent you and only you throughout the process. The best part is you will receive Full Representation and do not have to pay as we are paid by the Seller. This cost has also already been factored into their Marketing costs so it will not come out of your bottom line. In most cases I am able to get my clients an even bigger discount as I am a repeat customer to the builders...the more clients I bring them ...the larger the discount in many cases.

It is also helpful if the agent has a strong Construction background such as myself. I own a construction company of my own and have been in and around the building business most of my life. I keep up with the building codes and am very familiar with many of these Builders in this area.

Please let me know if I can be of any help whatsoever...I will be happy to guide you in the right direction.
You may reach me directly at: 832-549-5422

Best of Luck!

Warm Regards,

Patricia Fleming
Realty Associates
832-549-5422
Staged 2 Sell!
pattif@aim4cash.com
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
They're agents as well. They sale & build many Townhomes in the city. I have an old buddy building some Townhomes off of T.C. Jester as well. I know I can get him to sale us a Townhome with close to your desired finishes. Give me a chance, I would love to help you.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281)785-5132
Web Reference:  http://joelocator.com
Pat, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the responses.

I meant urban living builder? I keep seeing their name in 77007 zip. Is there a way to find information about the builder?
Gail Levin, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Pat, the area you have driven is a great area and I live around that area. It is close to everything, to Downtown, to the theaters and more. Build a rapport with an agent who will work with you and for you and as soon as you have established that you and that agent can work well together, they will steer you in the right direction. As one of my colleagues has stated below, all agents want your business. I do not know whether or not you have been pre-qualified. Believe me that is your first step in this process. As soon as you have been pre-qualified then you will know exactly what price house you can afford. No matter what offer you write, it must be accompanied with a letter of pre-approval. So my suggest is contact me and let me offer you the names of some mortgage brokers and then you can proceed further. I hope this helps.
Arnold Richie, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Good morning Pat,

First let me say that you are looking in a great area of Houston for location, social activities and amenities. Whether you choose Urban or not depends on your own needs and lifestyle. Stucco can be an excellent exterior and has been used for many, many years in western USA. As with any construction, the quality depends on the installation and quality of the materials used.

As a previous builder of townhomes, I can say that "value" can be elusive. Every builder has his own ideas of what should be put into a home. I strongly advise you to lock in with one Buyer's Agent, who will be working for YOU. He or she will be able to guide you and obtain the answers that you are looking for. That probably will cost you nothing as the commission is generally paid by the seller.

All agents want your business. That's what we do! If I can be of assistance:

Arnold Richie, Realtor®
Terry Burnaman Realtors
http://www.yournewhomehouston.com
arnold@yournewhomehouston.com
713-396-2017
Persis Behra…, Agent, Cinco Ranch, TX
Tue Jan 1, 2013
Hello Pat,

You're off to a good start having looked around the area physically. The location of the Heights area is attractive because of its access to Downtown, Galleria, etc. I recommend viewing a couple of homes in that area to see if what you look at, is something that you will be comfortable living with. While some of the homes may look similar from the outside, it might be a different story regarding the interior. Also, regarding values a lot depends on which one you are interested in, that can be compared with those that are similar (sq. ft, year built, number of rooms, etc).

It seems like you are still not quite set on the area of town. Are you particular about the commute, schools, type of living, access to certain amenities? Once you prioritize what is really important, you might be able to make some adjustments. If you are flexible and would like to look for a larger home in the suburban area, I could make some suggestions, but I would have to know what your priorities are, although ultimately it will depend on you to make your final decision.

Good Luck with your home search and have a great start to this New Year. Best wishes.

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
Deborah Stru…, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Jan 1, 2013
Hi Pat,

Happy New Year. I am quite familiar with Rice Military and the Heights. Most of the town homes being built are stucco. Stucco does have more upkeep than a brick home. It just depends on the look that appeals to you. Also, you should hire a stucco inspector to make sure that there is no water penetration. I will be happy to guide you in the right direction. City living is great depending on your lifestyle. If you like to be close to everything, then you will love living in the city.

Please contact me if you would like me to help you with your search.

Debbie
Patti Fleming, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Jan 1, 2013
Hi Pat and A Very Happy New Year!

I sell quite a few Towne Homes in this area and am quite familiar with most of the better builders. I would love the oppurtunity to work with you and help you make an informed decision. I am actually over in the Camp Logan neighborhood showing homes right now!

In answer to your question about Urban Living: If you prefer an Active night life, easy acesss to Downtown venues, excellent upscale shopping and restaurants....then this is the area for you.

You may contact me directly at: 832-549-5422.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Warm Regards,

Pat Fleming
832-549-5422
Pattif@aim4cash.com
Kar Wai Lam, Agent, El Segundo, CA
Tue Jan 1, 2013
Hi Pat,
Happy New Year! Pat you must have prefer less work in the garden area more leisure at hand. Some Townhouse do have smaller garden or some without. There are monthly maintenance fee. The mid rise that is solid built maybe in a 1900 onwards may sound antiquate but some are very stylish and fashionable too :) Are you also looking for a patio home? The resources that I have as a License Texas Realtor can assist you find properties for you to chose from. The best way to preview properties is to have a Realtor help you. My website is http://www.houstonkar.com cell 8327036263. I will certainly go through the process of searching this property with you without obligation. Thank-you have a nice and beautiful day! :)
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Jan 1, 2013
I have a friend building a row of Townhomes over off of T.C Jester. I think we could negotiate a price below $300,000. Please, give me a call.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference:  http://joelocator.com
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Jan 1, 2013
Pat ..

Happy New Year! I could develop a list of criteria for you ... but there's no substitute for actually seeing them. The exteriors are often deceptive ... in both directions. There's no problem with stucco, as long as it's not the artificial type ("EIFS" - Exterior Insulation Finish Systems) that caused so many problems a few years back. If you'd like me to set up some appointments, let's spend a day or so looking at homes. In addition to viewing them up close, you'll get a much better idea of what you can get for your money ... and there just might be a hidden gem among them. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/algeffon
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Jan 1, 2013
Pat,

The variety of prices will depend on many factors such as size, year built, features (hardwoods, granite counter tops, etc) size of yard and even location. Stucco is common and like anything on a home, should be checked out during inspections. There are pros/cons to stucco.

Best advise would be to get with a Realtor that can assist you with many of these questions as well as give you good advise as you plan to make a purchase. This Realtor would represent you, not the sellers. In the Houston market, the buyer's agent and their commissions are paid for by the seller so you basically get this service for free. They can discuss your question on "urban" living as well.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.