Hello, I am looking townhome in collegeville, PA area. Shortlisted communities are : 1. Hunt Club 2.

Asked by TigerP, 19403 Mon Aug 4, 2008

Longford Crossing - Pulte
3. Providence View

At high level, I know....longford is new and Hunt club (7 years old) & Providence View (8 ) . In my view, location and open area wise is Hunt Cub is best. But, when I see brand new townhomes in longford ..I have to think again ..brand new house…new wood work..appliances etc. Same time, I feel..longford is very congested. Builder has hardly left any open area. Roads are narrow and driveway is small and townhomes are very close to each other. For me, Hunt club location is best with respect to my work place etc.

I need help in decided a brand New vs 7 years old townhome. What is yr opinion ..if u compare Hunt club vs Longford crossing. What brings more value to money and also with respect to resale.

TigerP

Answers

4
John Badalam…, Agent, Wayne, PA
Mon Aug 4, 2008
Hi Tiger P:

I serve the Collegeville area and am familiar with three developments you are referring to. I've found that Hunt Club (I just sold another listing here in June) offers location and convenience, and yes, there are many townhomes in Hunt Club that offer an open area. Providence View, on the other hand does offer a community pool, tennis and there are some with an open view, more so on the higher elevations I've found anyway, Granted, the association dues are slightly higher than Hunt Club.

Longford Crossing, new construction, as the saying goes: You are buying tomorrow's values today, the components and mechanicals are all new. With any new construction, the price listed is the base price, and then you add in options to the price to come up with your final price. Also, tax assessments are based on a new assessment, so your taxes may be higher with a new construction and you have to weight that into your monthly (PITI) nut.

I think you need to determine what best works for your lifestyle and budget.
Shehla Karim, Agent, Wayne, PA
Wed Oct 8, 2008
Tiger,
With respect to resale, it's not the age of the house that matters, it's the location,location,location.
As a buyer, the negatives you find in a house, the same will be for another buyer when you turn around to sell. Remember, you can make cosmetic changes, but not the Location or Congestion.
I have a listing in Ritten House Square, older but very open community.
Call me if you need any assistance. 610-659-4869
Shehla Karim
Web Reference:  http://www.shehlakarim.com
Paul Dake, Agent, Limerick, PA
Tue Aug 5, 2008
Given the history of real estate market cycles, If you plan on staying in the home for at least 5 years, then you should do well upon resale with either development. Under current market conditions, and depending on the Seller's situation, you could potentially negotiate a contract that's largely in your favor when dealing with a home owner. When dealing with a builder, there is usually less room for negotiations. On the other hand, builders are offering some nice incentives (for upgrades, as an example), upgrades that could make your home more appealing upon resale. Bottom line in my opinion is, you can speculate and over-speculate..... do your homework, though, (which obviously you are), then trust your gut instinct. There are many variables to address, however, that in this forum we are not privy to.
Edmund Choi, Agent, Paoli, PA
Mon Aug 4, 2008
Having sold units in all communities, each community offers different community amenities, but all offer one thing - location. Each community has its advantages and disadvantages, but each buyer may have different priorities for those amenities; therefore, it is important that your move forward on the home that meets your needs and wants.