Hello, Do you need to have broker's license in Oregon to buy property and rent it. I like to get in rental property business. Thank you.

Asked by Paul Sarani, Hillsboro, OR Tue Sep 4, 2012

Answers

4
Manisha Jain, Agent, Beaverton, OR
Tue Sep 11, 2012
Hi Paul,
As you probably have known by now that you do not need a license to buy property. But if you would want to run it as a business, a good broker can certainly help you with that. I work with several investors who buy , rent it or flip it. Let me know if you would like to get the alerts for listings with good rental potential.

Regards
Manisha Jain
Summa Real Estate Group
manisha.realtor@gmail.com
Jennifer Pet…, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Hi Paul,

You do not need a license to buy property in Oregon. You should, however, enlist the professional services of a Real Estate Broker to help you in your search. It costs you absolutely nothing to do so. In this market with inventory levels very low, a broker can help you locate properties more easily and negotiate on your behalf. We also help guide you through the entire process and have great contacts for you if you need any services such as for flooring, property management, contractors, roofers, landscapers, etc. Please don't hesitate to call or email if you want to chat further about hiring my team to help you with your search.

Mandy Lewis
(503) 522-5803 cell
Broker, Keller Williams
http://www.pdxRockstars.com
Web Reference:  http://www.pdxRockstars.com
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Tue Sep 4, 2012
You certainly don't need a brokers license to buy property. You could simply find an experienced broker who works with investors such as yourself and they could help identify good properties for you to consider and handle the transaction when you find one. Nor do you need a brokers license to rent, though some states may require a property mangers license if you begin managing properties for others besides your self. You will be required to adhere to all HUD and FHA regulations in regards to non discrimination etc if you own more than four rental properties though I'd hope you'd adhere to them regardless of how many properties you might own.

You should Google Oregon Rental Guidelines and you'll be able to pull up and print off the most current Landlord- Tenant laws for reference.

For finding a great agent in your area I've attached a link below.

Best of luck to you.
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Sep 4, 2012
I am not a lawyer and I don't know Oregon law, but I cannot imagine you would need a broker's license to be a landlord. If you were listing someone else's property for rent, THEN you would need a broker's license, more than likely, but if you are both the owner, landlord, and person advertising the property for rent, you should be well within your rights. If you are really concerned you can always check with a lawyer, or with your State Licensing entity that regulates real state sales and rentals.