HOW DO YOU FIND OUT IF SOMEONE HAS DIED IN YOUR HOME?

Asked by Ann, Plainview, TX Mon Dec 5, 2011

Answers

10
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Personally, I would think that the "smell" would give it away every time.
Jasminescott…, Home Buyer, Plainview, TX
Tue Aug 29, 2017
Have someone ever died in the home of 4214Aliefvillage Dr.Houston tx 77072
DiedinHouse, Both Buyer And Seller, Chapin, SC
Thu Sep 26, 2013
purchase a http://www.diedinhouse.com report, speak with neighbors, ask the agent, check government records, search the Internet.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Ann,
If I were a con artist, I would offer my services to conduct some sort of ritual or seance. i would figure out how concerned about this you are, how much money you may have access to and find a ghost or three that I could, for a price, get rid of for you.
State laws vary as to whether previous deaths in a home must be disclosed. In my state they are not a material fact, but in others they are if the death occurred within certain time frames or at all.
Contact some local agents as to what the law in TX is and as others have said, research news papers, police or the neighbors. Just be very wary of psychics or mediums, they will find your money, but not a ghost.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Darn!!! Alan beat me to that answer!

Look: People die. Until maybe 50-75 years ago, most people died (and were born) in their homes, not in hospitals. Take a walk down any street in an older city and you can be pretty sure that people have died in just about any home on that block. And if we consider that many areas of North America have been populated for thousands of years, it's quite likely that someone, at some point, pretty close by.

chris hentho…, Agent, North Fort Myers, FL
Mon Dec 5, 2011
You can search news archives, you can ask your neighbors, or possibly ask the previous owners.

Under Section 689.25(1)(b), Florida Statutes, a homicide, suicide, or death that occurred on the property is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.
Carol Perdew, Agent, Manteca, CA
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Ann,

There is a concern for some buyers where there has been a death in the home. You may ask the listing agent to ask the seller if there has been a death in the home. You can check with the police department. The local newspaper may have past articles on a death in a home especially if there was a violent death. Neighbors are a good source of information.

Carol Perdew
Prudential California Realty
(209) 239-7979
Carol@PerdewHomes.com
http://www.CentralValleyHomes.com
DRE 985176
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Typically the police would have that info. You MIGHT have to file a report any calls to that address over X time

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Aaron Weber…, Agent, Middleton, WI
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Ask the listing agent, check with the police and public records. Would be my first step.

The next question is "how big of a concern is this?" Are you concerned with murder or just somebody getting old and passing away?

But don't let somebody passing away in your dream home keep you from your dreams.

Hope this helps
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Mon Dec 5, 2011
Ask the neighbors.
Ask the police.

Unless it was a violent death it doesn't have to be disclosed.

It's common people die at home.