Good School District around San Jose.

Asked by Rikita Jani, Sunnyvale, CA Wed Sep 29, 2010

Hello ,

I am a first time home buyer. I am planning to buy a townhouse or single family between 450 to 550M.
I am very new to bay area so I

Answers

25
Ruth and Perry Mistry’s answer
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sat Oct 16, 2010
Hi Rikita:

Some good areas are Cambrian, Campbell and Almaden (foreclosed or short sale Town Homes and Condos).
If you need further help feel free to get in touch.

Best Regards
Perry Mistry
408-656-5343
Web Reference:  http://www.ruthandperry.com
Robert Lei, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Actually North/South facing homes will be darker and cooler than East/West facing homes because:
1. Direct sun comes from the East in the morning and from the West in the afternoon.
2. With homes so close to each other in the Bay Area, a North/South facing home will be shaded by its neighbors on the East/West sides.

However, Monica is correct that some Asian Pacific buyers care about Feng Shui and have other beliefs. For example, some do not like exposed beams in the ceiling for superstious reasons.
Monica Goyal…, , Cupertino, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Rikita,

The direction of the house is based upon your belief, South facing house will get plenty of sun so it will
be a bright home and keep warm during winter months. My clients from certain Asian background prefer South facing home, however, my clients from pacific Asia, do not want South facing due to their religion and beliefs. So, your decision will be based on your beliefs, also, for resale purposes, a segment of people will not want to buy this house, whereas another large segment will be looking for south facing home.

So decide based upon your belief, visit the home at different times of the day, and see if it is sunny and bright.

good luck
Monica
Rikita Jani, Home Buyer, Sunnyvale, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
One of my friend suggest me not buy the property which has a south west , south east or south facing entrance .

Does it matter ?

Monica Goyal…, , Cupertino, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Hi Rikita,

I agree with Michael, Campbell and Cambrian both are great neighborhoods and you can also get into good schools in these neighborhoods. I do like Evergreen, however, do look into your commute, if you are working more towards Sunnyvale side, then you don't want the commute to Evergreen. Be vary of your neighborhood and your commute. Check out the community you would be purchasing into.

You have already received good links for many websites below, best is to get together (interview 2-3) with a Realtor, and go from there.

Best of luck
Monica Goyal
Marcy Moyer, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Rikita,
Congratulations on your move to the Silicon Valley. Finding a home under $550K in a great school district is not as easy as finding a townhome at the price with the best schools. Both Cambrian and parts of Blossom Valley have the best schools per dollar spent on a home in the west bay. there are also many options in Fremont and Milpitas in this price range with wondeful schools. The propblem with looking for yourself on MLS is that many cities have different school districts that they feed into and the closest school is not the one that goes with the home you are looking at. For example the Cupertino School District has homes in Cupertino, west San JOse, Sunnyvale, and Santa Clara in it's boundaries. It is a good idea to find someone who is knows the boundaries to help you in your search.
Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference:  http://www.marcymoyer.com
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
I confer with Lisa, GreatSchools is an excellent resource. San Jose is a very large city. We all have our favorite schools. Two of mine are North San Jose Berryessa Union 95132 and Cambrian Union 95124.
Marcy Moyer, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Rikita, Every home in this area is subject to termite damage. Termites can be fumigated, and then come back the next day. The good news is that it takes about 10 years or longer for the termites to cause structural damage so if they come back the next day then you do not have to fumigate again right away. Subterranean termites are less expensive to get rid of, but they do damage faster. So there is no way to get away from termites and if you do not want to buy a honme based on termite damage now or in the future you will not be able to buy in the bay area.

Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Monica Goyal…, , Cupertino, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Hi Rikita,

Do you have a Realtor? you should be getting your own inspection of the property. Typically in this area some termite damage is normal, and the problem generally is corrected by treatment. However, your inspector should be able to assess the level of damage and the work required.

Monica Goyal
DRE #01781926
Robert Lei, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Hi Rikita,
Whether $450k for 1200sf is a good deal depends on which neighborhood the house is in.

Here the houses are made of wood because it's the least dangerous material if your house falls down due to earthquake. You'll find the homes in Florida are made out of heavy material because their main danger is hurricanes. The downside of wood is that you always have to beware of termites. It's better to have termites than to have a big block of concrete fall on you though :-)

Your termite report should list two sections. Section 1 lists items that must get done to avoid further damage and Section 2 lists items that should be taken care of but are less time critical. Go to the last page. What dollar amount do you see under Section 1 and Section 2? Those are the numbers you can use to negotiate with the seller.
Rikita Jani, Home Buyer, Sunnyvale, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
The price is 450K for 1200 SQF and the danged has been done in bed room balcony. there are some spots where termite inspection guys able to find it. Its a regular sale with good condition. Should i consider it or not ?

I am confuse because here all the house are made of wood and if the certain portion of house is affected by termites then termites can enter in your home any time with sever damage.

This is just my own though but still wants your valuable suggestions.

Norman Aless…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Rikita,
Well that's hard to say it all depends on the price of the home , how much termite damage was done, and what type of sale it is,short sale? , REO?, regular sale? depending on the type of sale it is will let you know if you can negotiate the price, and/or repairs. Also remember that most SFR in this area will have some type of termite damage, it all depends on how much. So the property you are interested in could be a good deal, don't get turned off by termite damage as I have said it all depends on price and how much damage.
Feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
Rikita Jani, Home Buyer, Sunnyvale, CA
Mon Oct 4, 2010
I liked one property but it has a dry termite bed room balcony . Should i consider this property as good one or not ?
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Hi Rikita

Yes definitely Almaden, Campbell, Cambrian are a good start and within your price range.
Know of quite a few homes and town homes that should meet your needs.

Feel free to drop us a line or call.

Perry
408 656 5343
Michael Robe…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Updated answer:
In that case I would choose 95148! I added a link below...and this one here is only 12 years old ..
http://losgatoshomesandrealestateblog.com/idx/mls-80922690-2…

This link is great for every different way you want to choose a school. .http://ca.rand.org/cgi-bin/educ/api1.cgi

Don't forget the web link reference below too.

Isn't this a great forum for info and resources?

Hi Rikita, I agree with an earlier post that renting in an area may be helpful, however if you find one that feels right, passes the school test and has low crime. I would not hesitate to buy a home nearby as soon you feel comfortable.

full disclosure...I went to the Campbell Union schools that I am going to recommend.

Cambrian is one of my favorite areas-Southwest of highway 85 is my ultimate favorite-, my son is now in High School here..double bias.

The price range of homes in the area and the school scores a very favorable too. I know I am biased toward my neighborhood, however many many people agree that did not grow up here.

Look at the link I referenced to get a sense of what the area offers and tell me what you think.

Michael
http://LosGatosHomesandRealEstateBlog.com
Rikita Jani, Home Buyer, Sunnyvale, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Thanks for everyone's response. I am planning to buy the house because market is low and interest rates are very good. I can easily afford to pay 3000 mortgage per month. While doing some research online , I found 95120 , 94555 , 95135 and 95148 are the zip codes with good school district and economical price for townhouse. Please let me know if anyone of you have an experience to any above or good zip around your home.

R
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
All good answers from the Trulia resources. Here is one more website. http://www.movoto.com/schools.aspx

The word good is subjective. It is advisable to meet with an agent who will get an understanding of your wants and needs so that the information is specific to you.

I raised my children in Cambrian school district and it is popular due to the scores and other programs offered. Cambrian is surrounded by Almaden, Los Gatos, Campbell and Willow Glenn. Each neighborhood has their pockets. Although, Los Gatos and Almaden prices will not fit your listed budget.
Web Reference:  http://www.TerriVellios.com
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Rikita:

There is a detached 3 bedroom 2.5 bath home, single family, with a 2 car garage, available for sale in San Jose in the Holly Oak Elementary (API 821). It will be open tonight and priced at $471K. Do you want more information or to see the home. Let me know. This is a short sale, but it's a great value. The home is only 15 years old.

Contact me for more information.

Grace Morioka, SRES
Area Pro Realty
Email: GraceAreaProRealty@att.net
David Blockh…, Agent, Los Altos, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Rikita,

I suggest that you move to the general area that you want to live in and rent for at least 6 months. After living here for a period of time, you will be able to scout out areas for yourself and determine what you value most in the neighborhood (which includes schools).

I would also go to the individual neighborhood school web sites to get more detailed info about the school. Talk to parents, attend a PTA meeting or meet with the school principle. Test scores alone, like API, don't tell nearly enough about the school and how the kids are taught.

Do you have kids? Are you wanting a "good" school district solely for resale value? If you have kids, do they have any special needs? Do they excell in one academic discipline? Are they athletic? These are all questions you might ask yourself about your requirements. Is it possible that you might want live in a less expensive area (with lesser schools) and send you kids to private schools?

I think you'll find it easier to answer these questions by seeing first hand what your options might be. If you would like to discuss it further, please call me direct at 650 917-4250. Thank you

David Blockhus
Coldwell Banker
650 917-4250
Patricia Joh…, Agent, Sunnyvale, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
I have always referred my clients to http://www.greatschools.net, and I can't imagine any resource better than that.
This is if the scores are really the most important to you. I would go one more step however. I would go to the school itself and walk the grounds, check out the restrooms, even check out the playground. What you want is a school that represents a safe and clean environment. I'd want to find out the names of the teachers in the grade level my child was going to be in, and read their profile. With state schools, you can anticipate that there will be 30 or more students per classroom. The secret to good schools is not having large classrooms. If in your research you discover things like crowded classrooms or poor and ineffective teachers, then you may be a candidate for private schools. You may desire to spend less on your housing with free education, to making sure you live close to a private school and sacrifice your home selection to pay for private schools.
CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Rikita -

I like http://www.schoolperformancemaps.com best because it helps to visually get a quick read on neighborhoods. Even though the "bubble" scores only go to 2007, you can click on the ed-org link and see 2009 scores as well.

Of course, the highest scoring schools in San Jose are in the Union School District that cover neighborhoods like Cambrian Park, the edge of Los Gatos, edge of Willow Glen, and Campbell. The next area in San Jose is the Evergreen School district which covers the "Emerald Hills" of East Evergreen and Silver Creek neighborhoods. The West San Jose neighborhood (95117) has great scoring schools in the Moreland School District. Finally, Berryessa Union School District has some high scoring schools in the Ruskin, Morrill neighborhoods.

Hope that helps!
CJ
Hope that helps
Web Reference:  http://www.TalkToCJ.com
Kelsey Lane, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Hi Rikita,

Here's a link to a list of all the schools in Santa Clara County and their API scores which is one measure that is used to determine the quality of local public schools. Each MLS listing will have a code for which school is attached to the property & your realtor can help you with what schools those are: http://api.cde.ca.gov/AcntRpt2009/2009GrthAPICo.aspx?cYear=2…

I hope that helps! It's the best resource that I know of out there. By the way, your question got cut off, so I'm not sure if you had more that you were wanting to write. Would love to be of help. Very exciting about your new endeavor!
Robert Lei, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
What part of San Jose are you interested in? San Jose is very large and is divided into many neighborhoods.

For example, Berryessa is a very popular part of San Jose because it is close to high-tech employers Cisco, Altera, Cypress Seminconductor, eBay, Sandisk, etc. If you want to live in Berryessa, Ruskin Elementary is the best elementary school in the Berryessa school district.

Milpitas and Evergreen also have relatively good schools for the money. I have more detailed information that I can give you later. Right now another agent in my office asked me to help her with some technical stuff.
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Hello Rikita and thanks for your email post.

Depending on what you consider a good school, at your price range, you'll be gravitating more toward townhomes in Cambrian section of San Jose and Campbell.

I also concur with my colleagues that the aforementioned website provides excellent information, but unless you know what you're really looking for, many of my clients have expressed some frustration in using this site. In fact, I'm working now with a home buyer who will be coming in from Austin, Texas, and I'm providing her with detailed information about the best schools, driving times, etc., for her relocation. This way, she'll come here almost as knowledgeable as I am about schools and possible home locations.

My suggestion is to work with a great local Realtor who can provide you with information about homes in your price range and with good schools. Your Realtor should be able to provide you with quick and easy responses to your many questions about schools and communities within your targeted sales area. If you do not have a Realtor, give me a call and I'll help you!

Grace Morioka, SRES, Realtor
Area Pro Realty
Tel (408) 426-1616
Lisa Cannata, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Try http://www.greatschools.org. It's a good source of information on school systems.