Gay couple and family relocating to Florida, where should we live?

Asked by Justin Lowe, Baltimore, MD Fri Feb 1, 2013

My boyfriend (29), parents (50’s and fun), and I (33) are considering relocating to Florida in the next year. We are not planning on living together, but want to be close to each other. Currently, we live in Maryland and are finding the cold to be a bit much. We want to live near the beach and where there sun rules the days. We were told Fort Lauderdale would be a good option, but where?

1. Close to, but not in, a larger city
2. Reasonably priced houses to purchase (200k-450k)
3. Decent job market and lots of options
4. Upstanding neighborhoods (nothing low-income)
5. A melting pot of ages would be helpful (30 is fine)
6. Big yard for the dogs (4 of them)
7. Close (~30 minutes) to a nightlife (including, but not limited to, gay bars)
8. Fairly close (within 30 minutes) of the beach
9. Bonus Points: A local Comcast Cable office (BF works for them)

We would love to hear suggestions for towns & neighborhoods. Thanks for your help!

Answers

21
Barbara Bell…, Renter, Fort Myers, FL
Wed Feb 6, 2013
I love Cape Coral! I have lived in Cape Coral, Sarasota, and now Brandon. Cape Coral is cheap nice living,beautiful, close to beaches, close to fort Myers for night life or even pine island. Check it out.
Barbara,

Thank you for the response. Cape Coral was one of the first places I considered when I started researching Florida living. However, the research I have done tells me that there are not very many job opportunities in the area. Do you have any references that would oppose this research? I really l did love the area and especially the cost of the houses.
Flag Thu Feb 7, 2013
Terry McCarl…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Tue Feb 5, 2013
As mentioned by someone else here we as real estate agents aren't allowed to discuss this - it is considered "steering". I will tell you this much...Cape Coral is beautiful, close to Fort Myers and the beach and has a Comcast office. I recommend you visit a few different areas in Florida and make your own determination on where you feel most comfortable living in.
Terry,

Thank you for the response. I will pose the same question to you that I did to Barabara.

Cape Coral was one of the first places I considered when I started researching Florida living. However, the research I have done tells me that there are not very many job opportunities in the area. Do you have any references that would oppose this research? I really l did love the area and especially the cost of the houses.
Flag Thu Feb 7, 2013
Joe Roman, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tue Feb 5, 2013
Hi Justin;

Ft. Lauderdale has become a real gay Mecca! I believe that you both would be very happy, with lots of temptation not living together, in several sub-divisions here in south Florida. Of course, everyone knows about Wilton Manors and there are some great sub-divisions just west of Andrews Av., but not much for fewer than 275K. Oakland Park is a little less expensive, but you may not find it as desirable as Wilton Manors. Really the better sub-divisions cost between 300 to 400K and you might consider living together for financial reasons that would enable you better choices when and if you should decide to live here in South Florida. I personally do not like living in an all gay environment and there are many more choices between 350K and 400K that would all be gay friendly yet still a melting pot. Almost everything is within 3o minutes of the beach and I’m sure that there is Comcast office in town. Justin you really need to decide how much you’re willing to spend which will dictate the communities that you'll qualify for. It is also important to note that the closer you are to the ocean the more expensive property becomes. Below is a link that you can fill out if you'd like that will enable me to better understand exactly what you're looking for. But remember 200K is probably not going to get you what you really want. I' live in Rio Vista and have lived here since 1975. All the best
http://www.gayftlauderdale.com/gayfortlauderdalehotels.htm

http://josephroman.southfloridamls.com/?Page=566807

Sincerely;
Joe Roman ERA Herman Group Real Estate
Joe,

Thank you for the response. I have researched Wilton Manors and some of the surrounding areas. They do look nice and it would put us in the thick of things, but we are more of your mentality. I would love a short commute to the gay area, but not to be in the center of it all. This is part of the reason why I liked the idea of Oakland Park, but I will need to visit there as most of my research opportunities are exhausted.

As far as price is concerned, you are very right. I am still going through a through things that could either require we spend less money or allow us to spend more. This process will take a while longer and I am just researching now so I can better understand where to look later. Honestly, one of the ideas that I have is to buy a house that needs a little TLC and completely remodel it. With the amount of money I will have saved, this is not at all out of the realm of possibility.

Thank you again for your help and I will be sure to check out the resources.
Flag Thu Feb 7, 2013
Rhonda Hooper, Agent, Ft Lauderdale, FL
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Hi Justin!
You already have a lot of great answers . All I can add is SFLa is a great place to live and enjoy having your family near by. I moved here 25 years ago with my parents in tow. (Both 50's and fun) I have the experience from all points to help you find what you are looking for. Contact me at 954-328-3487 for any questions you might have.

Rhonda Hooper PA
Ft Lauderdale Florida
Rhonda@RhondaHooper.com
Erich Whitem…, Agent, FL,
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Steering involves

•race
•color
•national origin
•religious preference
•sex
•familial status
•handicaps

The answers here are in reference to work, distance to attractions, amenities in and prices of propertues.

None of the answers even come close to Steering and the question had nothing to do with Steering or any of the protected classes involved in steering.
Again, thank you. I think the only question I might have that would be a little iffy for an agent is the low-income question. I live in Baltimore, MD and near some very low-income and dangerous areas. I am definitely looking to get away from that.
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013
Joan Tole, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fri Feb 1, 2013
according to fair housing laws no realtor can "Steer" you to a community! I am shocked at some of these ANSWERS!
That's interesting. I know very little about the real estate business and I have been learning so much by posting questions in different places.

So, by what you are saying, I would have to find neighborhoods myself and then ask for listings in those areas? It just seems to me that an agent would be a perfect source for that information. What a shame.

Thank you for the information!
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013
Barbara East…, Agent, Pompano Beach, FL
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Hi Justin: Wow! A totally realistic list of wants & desires! There are some great communities on the east side of Ft. Lauderdale that have everything that you are looking for, including warm and sunny winter days! If you would like to give me a call I will be happy to tell you about what's going on here in Ft. Lauderdale. I will be able to send you some great homes to take a look at and when you are ready to come down I can set up the showing appointments. I am a full time top producing agent right here in on the east side of Ft. Lauderdale and have lived here for almost 30 years, so I know the area well. Please feel free to give me a call anytime.

Barbara Easton-Irvin
Atlantic Properties International
954-740-7855
FloridaLiving4U@yahoo.com

Check out my website for updated listings at http://www.FloridaLiving4U.net
Thank you Barbara! I will potentially reach out to you when I am ready to move my search to the next level.
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013
Sherry Morris, Home Buyer, Burnsville, NC
Mon Jun 6, 2016
Hi we are looking to move from NC back to Florida we have 2 senior horses & a mini dogs & cats. We aren't interested in Ocala. Our family lives in south Fl . Suggestions?

Sherry
Emily Shoupe, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sun Feb 21, 2016
Justin, thank you for your interest in moving to our beautiful slice of paradise, Fort Lauderdale!! I see many of the responses have suggested Wilton Manors and Oakland Park, and your reply about perhaps not wanting to be in the thick of things. Wilton Manors is a beautiful area that is well maintained, with great restaurants and night life, but not too much traffic or congestion.

Wilton Manors also has great sized yards (for South Florida) for dogs. I don't know what breed of dogs you have, but Wilton Manors is great because a vast majority of the houses are not covered by any Home Owners Associations (HOAs). HOAs are prevalent in much of South Florida, and many/most have breed restrictions limiting certain pet ownership. I personally like the ability to paint my door the color I like, and have the breed of dog I want, which is all possible in Wilton Manors.

Oakland Park is close to Wilton Manors, and less expensive...however it does have some of the low-income areas you may be trying to avoid. Despite the fact that Oakland Park is "less expensive," buying in Wilton Manors for less than $450,000 is highly doable.

In response to the posts about steering, they may have to go back and re-read that section of the license law. Steering only applies to a "protected class," which does not include sexual orientation. Therefore there are no problems recommending neighborhoods in response to your inquiry.

If you would like to see some of the properties that are available, I have previewed many of the houses currently on the market in Wilton Manors. I'm happy to send you some listings as well as my insights from seeing many of these in person, and will recommend some great restaurants on Wilton Drive for you to try out if/when you come down to visit :)

Let me know if I can be of any assistance!

Emily Shoupe
EmilyShoupe@gmail.com
The Listing House
Scott Brucker, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Fri Jan 1, 2016
I just saw this post, happy new year first thing!! Have you gotten your questions answered ??
tomfessen, Home Buyer, Saint Petersburg, FL
Sat Jun 28, 2014
Less busy in st. Petersburg. My home is beautiful. Contact me immediately before I hire a Realtor. Go on fsbo.com #166688. Tom
Chad Gray, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sat Feb 9, 2013
Justin,

You've received many great suggestions of places to live in Florida. My vote is for Fort Lauderdale! I relocated here from the north, so I can relate to your decision making process.

Here are a couple of great resources that might help with your decision:

1. 10 Reasons to Relocate to Fort Lauderdale http://luxurylivingfortlauderdale.com/10-reasons-to-relocate…

2. Fort Lauderdale - Top Choice for Rest and Relaxation http://luxurylivingfortlauderdale.com/define-your-luxury-liv…

Let me know if you have any questions about the area!

Chad Gray PA | Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
754-300-6040

100% of clients rated our service as "EXCELLENT"!
http://luxurylivingfortlauderdale.com/what-clients-are-saying/

.
opondomusa, , 10020
Thu Feb 7, 2013
check out link below for listings of condos in great neighborhoods in Florida
Larry Wallen…, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tue Feb 5, 2013
The answers you have been given so far are all appropriate but it is the nuances of this community, Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties that are key to your decision making process. Let a 40 year gay resident teach you about Ft. Lauderdale and South Florida.

Feel free to contact me:

Larry Wallenstein
Remax Consultants Realty I
954-270-5962
PIA MARTIELLO…, , Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sat Feb 2, 2013
The area Wilton Manors and Oakland Park In the gay areas and is very comfortable for you mother.
Rick Scrabis, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sat Feb 2, 2013
Fort Lauderdale a top gay tourist destination:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-gay-cruise-economic-…
John Bourassa, , Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sat Feb 2, 2013
Justin,

There are two old catchy phrases that I think may best answer your questions; however, each of those authors are unknown to me. 1) Home is where the heart is; and 2) The road to a friend is never long.

That being said, surely, to dodge any cold winter weathers, one must move anywhere south of the middle belt of Florida. But, before you make a permanent move, you may want to rent a house of condo for one year, learn our SE Florida terrain, then, decide where you may want to permanently settle. Hence, your heart will find the right place for you.

A dude below suggested St Petersburg area. Tampa, Clearwater and St Petersburg, FL are beautiful towns and their beaches are exceptional. You could be just as happy there than in Ft Lauderdale. And your true friends should not find the drive over there too long.

Happy hunting.
Lynne Knapp, , Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Hi Justin Lowe (Baltimore, MD),

Per your question on Trulia > Gay couple and family relocating to Florida, where should we live?
1. Close to, but not in, a larger city
6. Big yard for the dogs (4 of them)

Contact me 'Lynne Knapp' (954) 647-5335 Cellular, or email me the best number and time to call you to chat!

Lynne Knapp, Realtor
ReMax Consultants Realty 1
Ft Lauderdale FL
LynneKnapp@aol.com
http://LynneKnapp.com
http://LynneKnapp.ReMax.com
Web Reference:  http://LynneKnapp.ReMax.com
Hi Lynne, rather than re-type his question, we would encourage you to share you insights in your answer.
Flag Thu Feb 7, 2013
Ismailahob@g…, Home Buyer, Saint Petersburg, FL
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Check out St Petersburg. I think it meets most of your criteria. Cheaper than Ft Lauderdale. Large gay community with much less attitude.
Fri Feb 1, 2013
FORT LAUDERDALE ! Feel free to contact me to discuss the area.
Erich Whitem…, Agent, FL,
Fri Feb 1, 2013
The local cable office is out of Pompano Beach here but for the other items on your list, you'll want to be in either Fort Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, or Oakland Park.

There are many different neighborhoods with slightly different flavors. The size of the property and building, number of garage spaces, and other factors will be the biggest sifference though.

For example, Rio Vista is south of downtown Fort Lauderdale and is a quiet neighborhood, some home on the water. It is a bit farther to clubs, but there are good restaurants fairly close.

Las Olas area is closer to downtown andquick access to the beacg. Many of the homes are on the water.

Victoria Parkm Poinsettia Heights, and Lake Ridge are aNorth of downtown Fort Lauderdale, closer to Wilton Manors and the many club options there.

Oakland Park is North of Wilton Manors and Fort Lauderdale, with very modest priced homes up to more expensive waterfront housing. It has many restaurants and shopping options, is fairly close to the clubs in Wilton Manors, and not too far from the beach.

Most of the areas in all these cities will have a mix of people across most demographics.
Thank you so much Erich! This is exactly the kind of information I have been looking for. I believe that the Pompano Beach office is exactly where he would be working in the Fort Lauderdale area. I have heard a lot of Wilton Manors, but it is a little more costly (for something nice) and I am not sure that being in the "epicenter" of gay culture is going to be the best idea. I had not heard much about Oakland Park and after looking at the area on maps and checking out some of the listings, it could really be a great options for us.

Thank you again!
Flag Fri Feb 1, 2013