Gables End Mt. View

Asked by MV, Mountain View, CA Thu Jul 16, 2009

I just put a deposit on Gables End in Mountain View. I know its built on a superfund site. Is this a good investment? Will I have problems selling or renting this out in the future due to the superfund status? I plan on living there for at least a couple of years. Thanks in advance for your response!

Answers

4
Phil, Home Buyer, Mountain View, CA
Tue Jun 3, 2014
MV, did you buy in the end? If you did, how do you feel about the situation now?
Rosie, , 95020
Sat Jul 25, 2009
Hi MV,
If you have already placed your deposit, mostly likely, the builder has provided you all the disclosures. In it, there is probably some information regarding the site. Take the time to read them before signing the full contract. I'm sure the builder has given you some time to look through everything and hopefully, has gone over the documents with you as well.
Read them again. Ask as many questions as you feel necessary, ask them to review the documents with you, specifically regarding the site.
Every builder must do the cleanup before construction can begin, so chances are, it's pretty safe.
David Blockh…, Agent, Los Altos, CA
Thu Jul 16, 2009
Yes,

The Superfund Status will always be in the minds of buyers. If you are questioning it now, so will future buyers.
Web Reference:  http://www.losaltoshomes.com
Aileen La Bo…, Agent, Los Altos, CA
Thu Jul 16, 2009
Hi MV,
There are many sites in this area which have had past issues with toxicity.
The future value regarding this will entirely depend on how well the effects of that toxicity have been mitigated.
I'm guessing that you purchased the property direct from the builder. If so, I would recommend asking them to show you some documentation explaining the steps they took to ensure that the proeprty will remain safe. If you purchased the property through an agent, I would ask your agent for suggestions about how to get this information.
The properties where toxicity has been a problem are those where the site was not properly cleaned up in the first place, and chemical effects have arisen after occupation.
Above all, you need to feel satisfied that the correct steps have been taken because if you're uncertain, you can bet that someone in the future will ask the same questions you have, and if you don't have the answers it may affect a future sale.
Aileen