Front and back doors in the house I am preparing to buy both stick_is this a foundation problem?

Asked by Harry Mckee, Beverlywood, Los Angeles, CA Thu Jan 22, 2009

Answers

7
Brad Korb, Agent, Burbank, CA
Mon Jun 3, 2013
Not necessary ,but I would definitely hire a home inspector to check the house,you may want to bring up your concerns to him.Also look at the sellers home disclosure,it may make some reference to their doors & you can always also ask him too ! Good Luck !
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sat Jan 24, 2009
Not necessarily..before you buy take a look at the hinges of the door. When the screws come loose, the door sags and sticks. I hope it's this simple to solve!
You might also check how the door was planed (sanded down to be level with the frame and floor). If that is off..the door won't open either. Then of course..the paint! We had one painter who painted the wooden windows in an older home shut! They stuck too!
Best of Luck to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.doreneslavitz.com
Gail Mercedes…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Sat Feb 16, 2013
If you have an accepted offer on a home you should order a professional inspection within 5-7 days. The inspection is a contingency in the offer. The inspector will inspect foundation, roof, plumbing, electrical, chimney and etc. The whole property should be inspected so you know the condition of the property. Repair/replacements maybe acceptable or not acceptable. Can negotiate to have owner make repairs if needed. I would not suggest buying a property without a professional inspection.
Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Jan 22, 2009
Harry,

This is a common issue experienced most often with seasonal and temperature changes but if you feel there is reason to be concerned you might want to consult a contractor for their input.

Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Jan 22, 2009
There is no reason to assume that sticking doors absolutely mean a foundation problem. A general inspection should be part of any property purchase. If your general inspector suggests a Level II inspection on the foundation, you should pursue it...or if you simply have your own suspicions, have the foundation looked at.
Monique & Joe…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Jan 22, 2009
Hello Harry,

I would get a foundation ispection. The company I use is The Foundation Works. They can determine if that's the problem. There are a lot of other reasons why the doors would stick. Old doors can stick when they have too many coats of paint for example. Before you invest in a foundation inspection you might want to get a general inspection.

Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Wilshire
mcarrabba@kw.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Jan 22, 2009
Only a foundation specialist can confirm that info. via electronic measurements.

OR could be nothing doors could have been freshly painted, YOU CAN INSPECT / search for cracks above doorways, windows, check brick on exterior of home determine if any cracks repairs.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com