Found a property with mold, the licensed contractor (I plan to hire) told me to walk away

Asked by Ghtn2013, Nashville, TN Thu Apr 4, 2013

or won't come back until I got a mold-free certificate from Seller. The leaking was caused by rain coming from upstair's deck. Can anyone tell me what steps are involved to taking care of mold? The condo is about 1600 sq ft. How much will it cost to get a mold-free certificate if Seller would not get one? or should I walk away? Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions!!!

Answers

8
Andra Brewer, Agent, Nashville, TN
Mon Apr 8, 2013
There are lots of people that offer Mold Remediation. I just did one in the East Nashville area. Wasn't to expensive or stressful for either party....

Andra Brewer Green
Reliant Realty
Realtor ABR
615.585.2638 c
andrabrewer@gmail.com
http://www.eastnashvilleagent.com
"Everyone needs a friend in Real Estate"
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Mold can be remediated. Have your agent provide you with a list of some mold remediation companies.

One other point that's critically important in any mold situation: Fix the problem. In your case, you say it was caused by rain coming from an upstairs deck. That must be fixed or corrected (at the seller's expense). Otherwise, under similar circumstances, the mold will recurr.

Judy Golland, Agent, Randolph, NJ
Thu Apr 4, 2013
There are companies that remediate mold. The cost depends on the degree of the problem. Your realtor can refer you to one. You will probably wish to request the seller to take care of it, but if not, get your own estimate. If remediated, it shouldn't prevent you from purchasing the property, especially if the cause is also fixed.
Misty Hargis, Agent, Nashville, TN
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Mold can some times be a big problem, but if you really love the house, I would consult a mold expert. You can get a free estimate as to what it would truly cost to correct the problem. I recently used the following company for one of my clients and was very pleased. Check out his website at: http://www.dryingspecialists.net

Daniel Webber
Drying Specialists, LLC
Vice President of Sales and Operations
210 Fesslers Lane
Nashville, TN 37210
Mobile: 615-972-5870
Phone: 615-259-7477
Rory Lithgow, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Mount Juliet, TN
Thu Apr 4, 2013
I am really sorry but this is out of my expertise. I can probably refer you to a Home Inspector that could give you better advice.

Rory Lithgow
Branch Manager
Home Lending Source
615-627-4868 Office
rlithgow@thehls.com
Rodney Mason, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Atlanta, GA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
What does your Buyer's Agent say? They are one you should be seeking advice from. No one else knows the details of your situation like they do.
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Thu Apr 4, 2013
I would recommend calling a mold remediation company for an evaluation and an estimate. Your realtor should be able to recommend one. Mold is really not the big scary thing people make it out to be. We breathe mold every day, it's in the air. And it can generally be remediated pretty easily. Mold is a living organism, thus it requires two things to survive, food and water. It looks like you've identified the source of the water, so that should be able to be resolved, now you have to get rid of the food, generally dry wall.

I once walked into a house that was FULL of mold. The plumber that was there at the time told me what needed to be done, remove the old drywall, scrub it all down with a mixture of bleach and detergent, find the source of the water and fix that, then put new dry wall up.

I would have that done professionally, and I would get an estimate. Then you can decide what to do based on facts and not conjecture.
Tony Grech, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Southfield, MI
Thu Apr 4, 2013
It depends on the extent of the mold and type. Sometimes it's a case of simply power washing the affected area and giving it a good washdown with bleach. Sometimes it's more extensive.

If it is caught early on enough before it spreads a ton, then it could cost a few hundred dollars. If it's black mold and it has spread it might cost $5,000-$10,000.

If the contractor is telling you to walk away I've got to believe there is something to it. I would request that the seller pay for a mold inspection and find out the extent of the damage and the cost to fix it. Then proceed accordingly. If the seller isn't willing to tackle this then RUN, don't walk away.

Another important thing to note is that if you happen to need a mortgage to purchase this condo, then your lender will not likely approve your loan until this is taken care of.

Hope this helps!