Found a home which is not an open floor plan. Are these houses tough to resell?

Asked by Sunjose, Plano, TX Sat Aug 2, 2014

Formal dining, living and family room are all separate and you have to take two left turns to reach the Master BR downstairs. Study and kitchen is far apart. Basically each room is pretty much separate in itself. Location is Plano and Frisco ISD. The house has been in the market for more than 2 weeks. I personally liked the floor plan but hesitating thinking about the resell factor... Thanks for your replies...

Answers

6
Phillip Madi…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Aug 7, 2014
This differs case by case by what buyers are looking for. As a buyers agent, I can tell you everyone is different. What one person loves, another hates! I would say if the home works for you and meets your needs, then go for it! Best of luck!!
Pat & Steve…, Agent, Westlake, OH
Mon Aug 4, 2014
There are buyers who like homes that are not an open floor plan. They like private spaces. It is a matter of each buyer's preference.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Mon Aug 4, 2014
My buyer just purchased an appealing home.
The previous home was the open design. great room concept.
They quickly discovered there was no place to go to read with the little one, while the bigger one is watching TV.
A noise in one part of the house was shared with the entire house. As pretty as the big spaces looked, practical use in a situation with multiple occupants of significant age difference created frustration.

For them a more compartmentalized environment proved more desirable.

However, without exception. the kitchen needs to be open to the family room OR have eat-in space.
The approximate $2,000 investment to open the space is a good investment.

How the home will sell in the future is ENTIRELY dependent on how the home is promoted.
Words like "Beautiful 3/2/2 in great neighborhood" should get your agent fired.

As others have suggested, the ROI in your purchase will be the enjoyment you and those important to you derive from you season of ownership. Your enjoyment is the ROI.

Best of success.
Annette
Ereka Jones, Agent, Richardson, TX
Sun Aug 3, 2014
I agree with Susie. Definitely buy a home that you like! Floor plans and very subjective.
Often times you will about 50% of the Buyer population will like one style of home where another 50% of the Buyer population will like another style!

Thanks and Good Luck!
Susie Kay, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Aug 2, 2014
I would suggest that you purchase a home that you like and that it works for you. Have you talked to your realtor and inform her/him of your concern? What did she/he say?

Floor plan can be very subjective. I did an open house and floor plan is one of the best selling floor plan for the builder. A couple came to see the home and the wife said that she doesn't like the floor plan as she thinks it's choppy.

Susie Kay
United Real Estate
469-371-2899
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net
Jean Pasvar, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Aug 8, 2014
There are some features that will appeal to the masses and others that only a few would like. It is difficult to say by the description which way this house would go. But, having said that if you like it and obviously the current Seller liked it, someone else will when it is your turn to sell. You need to buy what works for your family and your situation.

Talk to your Realtor and take their advise. After all your Agent is representing you in this transaction and will want to look out for your best interest.

Jean Pasvar
William Davis Realty
214-402-6619