For those familiar with the Beverly Woods neighborhood, what's the 5-10 year outlook on how it will evolve?

Asked by Keith, Charlotte, NC Tue Feb 17, 2009

Should I be looking for a brick ranch that can be expanded/added on to? I'm not too keen on the split-levels - seems like some of those will eventually get torn down.

Answers

7
Melissa Chur…, Home Owner, Charlotte, NC
Sun Dec 1, 2013
Why no love for split level homes? I lived in one in the past and the layout really worked well for us. The fact that it was more affordable than the other homes in the neighborhood allowed us to buy into an area where we would have normally been priced out of. If you drive around older neighborhoods like Beverly Woods, you will see that there is a lot that can be done to make a split look more up-to-date. Websites like http://retrorenovation.com are generating a new appreciation for these older modest style homes.

Teardowns destroy the original character of the neighborhood, are wasteful to the environment and do very little for the property values of the original homes. Everything becomes dated sooner or later. Don't destroy something that has been around for 50+ years just to chase housing trends.
Tracy Clay, , 28210
Thu Jun 11, 2009
Hi Keith,

I just came across your question and thought I'd share my 2 cents. I grew up in Beverly Woods and currently live in Beverly Woods. This neighborhood is a great place to call home. It was built in 1962-64 by John Crosland. It has a nice mix of original owners, the older crowd, and the newer buyers, the young families taking their place. When I grew up here there were a ton of children to play with. I now see that turn coming about again with the young couples coming in starting families of their own.

The neighborhood is in an ideal location! An easy commute to uptown, close to Southpark Mall, Phillips Place, and Carolina Place Mall. Good restaraunts all around. The schools you feed into are good schools. Beverly Woods Elementary, Carmel middle, and South Mecklenburg High School. These could change so be sure to keep an eye on it.

I would definately go with the ranch first, two story second, and split level 3rd. Split levels are nice as far as layout if you take the kitchen wall down, but are hard to heat and cool. I live in one myself. The removal of the kitchen wall really opens the room up and makes it feel larger. Though I agree with the others that it would be nice if all split levels would become teardowns. Unfortunately, in the current economy, I'm not sure if teardowns are going to happen any time soon. Perhaps in the future. Ranches are the way to go if you want to expand.

I've watched the prices in the neighborhood for years and years. They've raised consistently, about 5% a year until 2005. Then prices started raising 10% and more. We had an actual bubble in here I think, and now see the prices coming back down in here as well as the rest of Charlotte. In 2007 a ranch house that was completely remodeled would sell for $207 a square foot. Today, using the comparables from the past year, the price is about $186 a square foot. Prices may still come down depending on what the economy does the last half of the year.

As far as if Beverly Woods is a good neighborhood to live in and a good investment. I would say Yes, this is a great neighborhood to buy into and reap the rewards later down the road when the economy comes back. I know of someone wanting to sell their ranch that needs fixing up. If you are interested contact me at the number below.

Happy house hunting.

Tracy Clay Broker NC, SC
704-968-0579 cell
tracyclay@kwcharlotte.com
http://www.findsouthcharlottehomes.com
Debra M. Buck, , Charlotte, NC
Wed Feb 18, 2009
Hello Keith!

Beverly Woods has proven to be a Community with a steady appreciation. It truly is all about location, location, location and you are very close to SouthPark but aren't paying those SouthPark prices. I too feel like eventually the older split-levels will get torn down and new homes will be constructed. I definitely recommend a brick ranch over a split-level and remodeling or expansion would make the construction process easier and typically more cost effective. I have seen alot of home owners that are expanding or remodeling now because the cost of materials as well as labor are less expensive.

I have friends that live in Beverly Woods and they love how it is truly a Community! I hope this helps you and if I can do anything else to help guide you, please let me know. It would be my pleasure!

Debbie
Roger Berrey, , Charlotte, NC
Wed Feb 18, 2009
Because it is close in to the city, and Southpark, it should be a solid investment when looking back in 5 years from now. Folks want to have the convenience of ameneties around them, and do not want to have to drive very far to find them. Gas prices will likely continue heading upward in the future, so that will also be a factor.
Andy Yates, , 28207
Wed Feb 18, 2009
Location...Location...Location....Its the oldest cliche in the book, but its exactly why Beverly Woods has a great 5 to 10 year outlook and is a great investment for a homebuyer. Its proximity to South Park Mall and the entire South Park area has made this a very desirable neighborhood that has seen good, steady appreciation in recent years. I would expect to see the home values in this neighborhood continue to see a nice, steady rise in value especially when the real estate market and the economy in general turn around. For the last several years, there has been a lot of remodeling and updating going on in this neighborhood. I would certainly expect this to continure, along with ta growth in the number of addtiions and
tear-down/rebuilds that you see throughout similar neighborhoods in the South Park area and throughout Charlotte.

The ranches are certainly more popular than the split-levels with today's buyers as well as easier to work with when doing a renovation or addition. If I was looking to buy in here, I would be looking at the brick ranches. I would agree with you that the split-levels will be the more likely targets for builders/investors looking to do tear-down/rebuilds. If you have any other questions about this neighborhood or the Souht Park area in general please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks!

Andy

Andy Yates
Broker/Realtor
Coldwell Banker United Realtors, South Park Office
(704) 467-0795
ayates@cbunited.com
Beau Ferguson, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Feb 17, 2009
Considering the prime location.......my guess is you'll start to see more tearing down and rebuilding. There are many factors to consider regarding your second question..........the design of the existing home, how much more house you want to add on, the cost of tearing down and rebuilding vs adding on, etc.. The answers probably vary greatly depending on what you have to work with, what you desire to end up with, and what you're willing to pay. You might want to consult with a builder.
Lynn Johnson, , 28204
Tue Feb 17, 2009
The Beverly Woods neighborhood has done very well in appreciating over the past several years. In terms of resale, ranches are in greater demand than split-levels. Split-levels have fallen out of favor with most buyers. One of the advantages of living in Beverly Woods is the location which is close to SouthPark and all it has to offer. Other advantages are the good school systems, the fact that the homes sell quickly (60 days on market average versus Charlotte average of 150 days) and the well-built homes with lush mature landscaping.

Yes, adding onto a ranch is probably easier to add square feet rather than modifying a split-level. You see owners adding second floors all over Charlotte's older neighborhoods, adding those large Master Bedrooms and luxurious Master Baths. Updating kitchens and baths give you the best return on money invested in a home.

Since location and school districts are two of the most important selling features of a neighborhood, Beverly Woods should be a solid investment over the next 5-10 years. Yes, there will be tear-downs and major renovations but they add even more value to the neighborhood.