Floor plans would be really great on real estate listings.! It is so hard to tell what is where, especially as the pictures aren't in order.

Asked by Porter O'neill, 53704 Mon Jan 24, 2011

When you are thinking of new ways to improve your listing please try to find a way to make showing floor plans possible. Pictures are nice but they so often are out of order it is really hard to tell what is where.

Answers

9
Homedrawn’s answer
Homedrawn, , San Diego, CA
Thu Mar 1, 2012
There are now many local and nationa (web-based) companies to provide floor plans specifically for real estate listings! In the San Diego, CA area, you can check us out - Home Drawn San Diego.
Web Reference:  http://www.homedrawnsd.com
also Bestlightvisualhome.com provides 2-d, 3-d and virtual tours for realtors in the New England area at an affordable price. I use them for our rental properties and they are great!
Flag Wed Feb 5, 2014
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Aug 8, 2011
@Briand - that's going to depend entirely on the listing... and the agent. Some agents stick a sign in the ground and pray that the house will sell before they have to spend any money.

Others spend money right from the get-go, knowing with certainty that it's money well-spent because they'll sell the house.

ANY money spent, if the house doesn't sell is a waste of money.
Briand, Both Buyer And Seller, Ocala, FL
Sat Aug 6, 2011
I often hear the argument from realtors that adding another component to the marketing package costs them money. What is a reasonable total to expect them to spend on marketing your home?
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Sat Aug 6, 2011
The way a listing is presented (photos, virtual tours, floor plans) is determined by the listing agents. Some agents use their own little dinky digital camera and some hire professional photographers. Some agents use virtual tours, some don't. Some agents use floor plans, some don't. Some stage their properties, some don't.

It's part of the reason why the agent you choose is so critical, and interviewing them is so important to find out just what they offer.

Each of those things (professional photography, virtual tours, staging, floor plans) cost money.. and an agent has to determine where his/her strengths lie, and just where they want to spend their marketing funds.
Bobbyr, Home Buyer, Fresno, CA
Sat Aug 6, 2011
I just bought a house that had a floor plan in the listing. This was a great feature. Saved me time and gas money. Saved our agent from having to drag us around other boring homes. And I'm sure it saved the seller some agonizing over another showing that could've been unproductive. The photos did not do this place justice. If it weren't for the floor plan I would not have gone in person to see it.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Jan 24, 2011
You are absolutely correct.....

When available, many agents will include photographs of the floor plan in their pictorial representation. We know this is appreciated and helpful. Unfortunately, to do an artistic rendering for most agents, could be misleading and problamatic.

Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
I'm thinking of new ways to increase people's curiosity about my listings enough so that they will come out and see it; my concern is that someone will decide that they don't like the way the floorplan looks - not the layout, but the way it's drawn - and won't come out to see it. Much as they do now with photographs.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon Jan 24, 2011
That's very true.

One difficulty--as Phil notes--is that sometimes the sellers don't have that information. On the other hand, some real estate offices maintain collections of floor plans. The one I work in, for instance, has multiple filing cabinets filled with floor plans. And they date back 30 years or more, in some cases.

In cases where that doesn't exist, it'd be possible to use a software program--either a general-purpose drawing one or an architectural design one--to construct basic floor plans.

Very good point/suggestion.
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Porter;
Thanks for the tip!
Most of us try; but for private sales some of the owners don't have this info; and for foreclosures there is no information available about the home.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com