Flooding risk in Secaucus?

Asked by Aaron, Secaucus, NJ Thu Feb 21, 2013

While checking the Floor Zone maps for Hudson county, I noticed almost all of Secaucus is susceptible to storm surge in case of Hurricanes. So is it wise to look for houses along Hackensack river? I find some properties along the river interesting but in two minds due to the flood zones. Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Answers

2
Greg & Kim Taylor’s answer
Greg & Kim T…, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Fri Apr 26, 2013
Great question! I live in the area and can attest that my community, Riverside Court, was not effected by flooding since I've lived there from 2006. The community has 212 townhouse units along the Hackensack River. There is another community called Jacobs Landing, which sits right behind Riverside court, also along the Hackensack River. The developer actually raised the entire elevation 12 feet above the flood zone. I checked this community for damage post Sandy and all I could find was a portable toilet turned over and a fence that had been blown down. In terms of older construction, where you have a basement below ground, you could be susceptible to flooding depending on your location.
Dinesh, Home Buyer, Secaucus, NJ
Wed Apr 3, 2013
all the time. Have a basement. Flooded during Irene. A little during Sandy