First time homebuyer needs advice related to condos/single family home in NJ

Asked by Vikrant, Secaucus, NJ Fri Feb 22, 2013

We are first time home buyers looking for a condo/single family home in New Jersey. Our budget is 500k. We do not have kids. We work in midtown Manhattan and are in our late 20's. We would like to buy our first house within 6 months. We would like to move to a second house in next 5-6 years and rent/resell this property. Ideally we would like a 2BR-2BATH (third bedroom is bonus), open and bright floorplan and in a relatively new property constructed in 2000's. Access to public transport is a factor and we would like to keep our commute to 45 mins. Currently, we rent an apartment in Secaucus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

6
Kathleen Con…, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Fri Jun 14, 2013
Hi Vikrant, Please email me & I will respond with 2 condos in particular that are a great value for the listing price. Below $500K in the area you have mentioned. This way you can see all of the details & look the building up on the map. Kathleenc.Realtor @ gmail.com

Kathleen
, ,
Tue Mar 5, 2013
Vikrant,

It's great to see you have both short and long term goals. Aside from finding the right community to accomodate your budget and commute, you will need a pre-approval letter to present to your agent. Being that this is an entirely new experience for you I'd like to help educat you on every step of the way towards home ownership. I'm not concerned about single family homes, however, with regards to condos, there may be factors we need to address based on your projected down payment, income, and credit profile. This should be an exciting experience for the both of you and I'd like to keep it that way. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we may take proactive measures to ensure a smooth process from start to finish. I may be reached via phone or email; whichever is of greatest convenience.

Kindest regards,

Paul F. Marzolla
Loan Officer
(201) 957-6768
pmarzolla@unvmortgage.com
NMLS#922891
Thanks Paul. I already have a pre-approval letter.. I will contact you if I need any help.
Flag Tue Mar 5, 2013
Armin Lusiny…, Agent, Short Hills, NJ
Mon Mar 4, 2013
Hi Vikrant,
The West Orange express will be 45 min bus stop to bus stop.
http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/93/community77.pdf

Unfortunately, I can not think of a town that is within 45 min door to door, in the 500K price range and has new constructions. If you change your mind and would be willing to add 10-15 min to your commute, I will be happy to help.

Armin Lusinyants
V, Home Buyer, Hoboken, NJ
Mon Mar 4, 2013
Thanks all. I would prefer to buy a condo which I can rent easily in 3-4 years. Would prefer to buy something with a commute less than 45 mins by bus or train (door to door). I would prefer buildings that have been built after 2006. Any more suggestions that come to your mind?
Hi V,
I am working with 2 other buyers now who are looking to Buy now & rent out in the next 2-3 years. I have been able to provide them with all of the numbers they need to make the best educated decision on what & where to buy. I'd be happy to discuss the same with you & give you their names as a reference for my services. You can email me directly at : KathleenC.Realtor @ gmail.com
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
I am working with 2 other buyers now who are looking to Buy now & rent out in the next 2-3 years. I have been able to provide them with all of the numbers they need to make the best educated decision on what & where to buy. I'd be happy to discuss the same with you & give you their names as a reference for my services. You can email me directly at : KathleenC.Realtor@gmail.com
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi V,
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Armin Lusiny…, Agent, Short Hills, NJ
Fri Feb 22, 2013
Hi Vikrant,
I am working with a couple that has very similar needs, right now. We are looking in West Orange, Livingston, Basking Ridge, Scotch Plains, Chatham, Summit, New Providence area. All are great towns with a good commute to NYC (bus or train)
One thing about this area - it's an older community and anything new (1980 +...) is mostly a town house or an older house (1950/60) totally renovated.
Also, when looking for a house don't forget about the property tax and monthly maintenance fees (if condo) as well, because sometimes an affordable house has not so affordable tax price tag :( .

Best of luck,
Armin Lusinyants

http://www.MoveOutorInwithArmin.com
(917)626-9420
Hi Vikrant! Unfortunately, I did not get alerted by trulia regarding your reply on March 5th. I just happened to see it today ... The towns you have mentioned are in Hudson and Bergen counties and are out of my MLS access. But if you ever think of West Orange or Livingston, (there are a few newer townhouses on the market these days) I will be happy to help! Cheers, Armin
Flag Tue Mar 26, 2013
Thanks. How are Rutherford, Lyndhurst, Weehawken? I guess they might have shorter commutes.
Flag Tue Mar 5, 2013
Marsha Bowen…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Feb 22, 2013
Vikrant,

There are many towns to choose from in your price range. As far as newer construction, you could likely find a newer condo complex in most of the commuter towns. Do you have any specific towns in mind? My focus counties include Essex, Union and Morris county. Feel free to contact me if you would like further assistance.

You can also start your seach by logging into the website below: