First time home buyer looking for advice

Asked by Ah, Queens County, NY Sat Feb 23, 2013

Hi All,
I am a first time home-buyer looking to find a good one family house in NJ. I am vaguely familiar with the state as I have been in NY for a while now. For my new house, I am looking for the following criteria:
1) Great schools ( elementary middle )
2) Easy commute to downtown NY - close to Bus/Train lines
3) Diversity
4) My price range is between 450-550k for a single family house.
Please let me know where I should be looking?
My price range

Answers

7
Allison Fish…, Agent, Ann Arbor, MI
Sat Feb 23, 2013
Sounds like John may be a great match for you! You should set up a meeting with a Realtor. They will help you find what you are looking for and a consultation with them will help you to know for sure whether your criteria is realistic in your price range.

, ,
Sun Feb 24, 2013
Hello, looks like a lot of great agents have given you some great advice regarding where to look for. If you haven't already done so, the first step to purchasing a new home is getting Pre-Approved by a lender. I work with an award winning mortgage lender and I'm licensed in NJ. I would be happy to help you in the Pre-Approval process. Feel free to contact me regarding your pre-approval. Best of luck
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Sat Feb 23, 2013
Ah-

Well, you don’t really need a buyers consultation meeting to know where you want to live, and you should also realize that this is New Jersey, highest taxes in the nation.. in NJ higher taxes = school system. It really depends what your wants and needs are.

I am from am Brooklyn originally, looked in the Northern and Western parts.. Could not do it.. The commute to Wall St was not too good. So great town. Commute to NYC by Bus was 50 minutes on the earl y bus.. 50-60 minutes now.. exactly 35 miles out of Bensonhurst and 35 miles out of downtown Manhattan… commute is great.. NJ Turnpike to exit 9. Boom done.

I have kids in the school system which is spectacular and the overall, town has plenty of shopping, teams for the kids, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer.. Great library and we have a water park!

There are some pretty good houses available in this price range. Email or call if you would like me to send you what is available.

As an expert in Central NJ Real Estate, I know where you want to be. I happened to land in East Brunswick, but there are towns that are equal and great, Marlboro, Manalapan.. to name a few..

Call or email – let set a time to see some houses!
John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
Marsha Bowen…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Feb 24, 2013
Hi Ah,

I enjoy working with first time homebuyers. As a former commuter to NYC, the distance to midtown versus downtown and uptown will determine how easy your commute is going to be. I cover three counties, Essex, Union and Morris county where there are towns with easy commutes. To get information on NJ schools, I have included a link for you to review. Your price range should work for most of the towns depending on the number of bedrooms and baths you desire.

http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/top-new-jers…
Andrew Tisel…, Agent, Clifton, NJ
Sun Feb 24, 2013
Hi

I can help you in Essex, Passaic and Bergen County

It would be a please to have a sit down with you and guide you in the right direction.
Contact me and I can email you a free Home buyers guide with tips on buying a home in NJ.
Brian Diehl, Agent, Verona, NJ
Sat Feb 23, 2013
Many places in New Jersey match your criteria. I could recommend a dozen towns that you can investigate; however, a more detailed buyer's consultation would be necessary to narrow your search possibilities.

First, if you haven't done so already, get pre-qualified so you know exactly what you can afford before you waste your time looking at homes you cannot get financing for.

If you'd like a complimentary buyer's consultation, I'll be glad to help you get started.

Good Luck,
Brian Diehl
Prudential New Jersey Properties
mobile: 973-521-1061
Brian.Diehl@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Armin Lusiny…, Agent, Short Hills, NJ
Sat Feb 23, 2013
Hi Ah,
I would suggest Essex, Union and Morris counties. West Orange, Livingston, Basking Ridge, Scotch Plains, Chatham, Summit, New Providence area. Great towns with a good commute to NYC (bus or train).

When looking for a house don't forget about the property tax and monthly maintenance fees (if condo) as well, because sometimes an affordable house has not so affordable tax price tag :( .

Best of luck,
Armin Lusinyants
http://www.MoveOutorInwithArmin.com
(917)626-9420