First time buyers, parents with a new baby are looking for a FIXER UPPER in the New Hyde Park area of Queens

Asked by Bilchamberlin, Fresh Meadows, NY 11365 Tue Aug 12, 2008

Any suggestions? A Foreclosure would be great too, (if not more complicated.) I am a full time Art Director in the city and really want to get my hands into fixing up a home on the weekends, maybe flipping it in a couple years.

Answers

1
Pilar Moreno, Home Buyer, Forest Hills, Queens, NY
Tue Aug 12, 2008
I lived in the New Hyde Park area, but the Long Island part of it. Please consider that area as well. The schools are the best ( Herricks) there. Please check the school reports and you will see for yourself. The area is full of shopping choices. There are many fixers in that part, but really think about it. I fixed and sold my home and bought another in Forest Hills ( closer commute) Queens. Fixing up a home is alot more work than I ever thought. EVER. The price drop is hardly worth it. Unless you are very very handy and do professional looking work. Right now you can get a great home that needs some work , not tons. KEY>>>NEGOTIATE> The price means is just what they would like. Now, the desperate sellers will consider a good offer, not the best, just a good one. Example, a 500K home I would offer 450K and would probably be in closing soon. Good luck!