Home Buying in Norwalk>Question Details

ezrideolg, Home Buyer in Norwalk, CT

First time buyer

Asked by ezrideolg, Norwalk, CT Wed Jan 30, 2013

Has anyone used online lenders for purchasing a house in CT? Is it true that some of them don't charge closing fees and offer lower interest rates? I am looking into Roundpoint Mortgage which has amazing online reviews. Anyone used them?

Brian Gardner’s answer
It varies company to company. My company is located in Stamford and we have very competitive rates and low closing costs. Contact me for a free estimate. You can call or email, or if you'd prefer I could easily make a trip over to Norwalk to discuss the options with you.
Thanks Brian. I will keep you in mind.
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
You should check with your Realtor for referrals of lenders they have concluded successful transactions with in the past. Another avenue that I suggest that my clients start, is with their personal bank that they already have established accounts with. Like anything, it pays to shop. Many lenders offer different products and some may work better for your particular situation than others.

Good luck in your endeavor.
Thank you Linda
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013
Its always a good idea to work with a reputable lender who has an office and you may also visit in person. I have never heard of Roundpoint Mortgage so I cannot comment on them.
Thank you Leeann
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013

Ask your Realtor for names of mortgage professionals with whom they have worked successfully in the past. You can compare rates and be assured of actually funding the loan. All of us had heard of or experinced a closing where the money wasn't there in time. Talk about a nightmare for everyone involved!

Jay Cooke
Thank you Jay
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013
Hi again, Ezrideolg,

Everyone's heard of QuickenLoans but who has heard of Roundpoint Mortgage? You know the old saying, if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Go with a reputable local or national firm, for more of the same reasons others have mentioned. Integrity, service, commitment, cost savings.

Message or email me and I will give you the names of 3 to choose from.

Sam Gabe
Halstead Property
671 Boston Post Road
Darien, CT 06820
203-856-8399 cell phone
I have heard nothing but bad things with online lenders. If something goes wrong who do you go see??? Amazing reviews are as easy to generate as creating a website or posting garbage on sites like this. If it's on the internet it can be fake. And NEVER NEVER EVER send money to someone "up front".
Tim, thank you for your input.
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013
Hi again Ezrideolg,
I absolutely advise against an online only mortgage. Use someone local, use someone you can actually meet. It is tempting to believe someone will lend you money for significantly less than another, but it just doesn't work. There can be hidden fees that you won't find out about until the closing when it is too late to switch brokers. Lots of good, local mortgage brokers who are honest. Honesty and integrity are what you want. Call if I can help and good luck! Mark Namm
Mark, thanks again for your advice. I very much think you are right.
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013
Hello again,

I have a few mortgage brokers I recommend, because they are hasty, and followup consistently, and they know their mortgages. I tend to advise away from someone you cannot shake hands with.

You are right that some do not charge closing fees, or offer other incentives, but lower interest rates are a smoke a mirrors game.

I have not used Roundpoint, but for any service, it is great you are doing your research prior to making a decision.

If you would like to ask a trusted broker more questions, let me know!
-Joe Balestriere
Joe, thank you again for your reply.
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013