First Time Home Buyer Looking in Montgomeryville Area - Need Realtor

Asked by blaughman, Philadelphia, PA Thu May 16, 2013

Hi - My wife and I have another 6 months on the lease of our current apartment and we were hoping to make the transition from renting to owning a home at the end of it. We were told to start looking now as it can take several months. We got pre-approved for $200k, but we aren't really sure how we pick a realtor. Anyone know the best way to pick one? I was looking for a site with reviews or something and found nothing.

Answers

4
Kathleen Dor…, Agent, Ambler, PA
Sat May 18, 2013

Congratulations on your decision to be a home owner! With interest rates remaining low, you are taking poised to take advantage of a great opportunity. I applaud you on already getting your pre-approval done--one less item to worry about as you move on to the next step--finding a top notch Realtor.

Honestly, the best way to do that is to ask friends or co-workers who have recently purchased a home for a recommendation. But if that is not an option for you, I would suggest you interview a few Realtors in your area. Purchasing a home will probably be the largest financial investment you and your wife will make, and the relationship with your realtor is an important one. You and your agent will potentially spend a lot of time together, so make sure you put yourself in the hands of someone you can trust.

Here are a few questions you can ask a Realtor--

1. How long have you been an Agent?
2. What, if any, designations do you hold? Agents who have designations have spent time and money on furthering their knowledge, and that shows professionalism and dedication.
3. How many buyers have you worked with?
4. What's your business philosophy? This question will help you determine if the realtor is someone with whom you will feel comfortable working.
5. Could you give me the names of 2 or 3 of your most recent clients?

Hope this helps! If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to call me.
R. Eric Axel…, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Fri May 17, 2013
Hi, I agree that you can begin the process of hiring a Realtor (free to you) and maybe looking at areas, developments casually. There are few things that could happen:

1. You will simply look casually until it get's closer, say August/September, then begin looking more earnestly;

2. You will find the home of your dreams and decide to pay to get out of your lease as part of the overall "closing costs";

3. We can monitor any homes you fall in love with now and they may still be on the market (at a reduced price) in a few months.

There are not many Realtor rating sites as the whole idea has been quite controversial lately. Different sites (Trulia, Zillow) will have different reviews as it's really up to the Realtor to ask their past clients to go online and complete it.

I would recommend at least completing phone/coffee interviews with a couple agents and see who you like better. You can ask for references at that time.

I have one testimonial on my website here: http://www.SellingPhilly.com

Also, I have TWO first time homebuyers under contract in the Montgomeryville area, BOTH at the $200,000 price point. I can put you in touch with those clients.

Hope this helps!

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
856.617.1212
axelson@kurfiss.com
Web Reference:  http://SellingPhilly.com
Lesley Barbo…, Agent, Blue Bell, PA
Fri May 17, 2013
You can ask friends and family who they used and find someone they felt comfortable with and would want to recommend. Trulia has the option for clients to write recommendations so you can check that out. There are a lot of Realtors out there so recommendations is a good starting point. If I can be of help with questions please let me know,

regards,

Lesley
Edmund Choi, Agent, Paoli, PA
Thu May 16, 2013
Check out my profile here on Trulia. Hopefully I can be of assistance, as I have countless times for many other first-time homebuyers.