Finding a buyer's agent.

Asked by Sa, Seattle, WA Wed Mar 18, 2009

I will be relocating to OC this summer. The last few times I purchased a home, I used a buyer's agent - someone whose firm only represents buyers. How can I find a list of such professionals who serve Orange County, CA?

Answers

17
Jovan Simon’s answer
Jovan Simon, , Santa Ana, CA
Fri Aug 3, 2012
Hey Sa,

I can help you out with finding a buyers agent, I work for a Direct Residential Lender and we work with a lot of real estate agents. First thing you want to do is get pre approved for financing so you know your range of houses to look for and i can help you out with that. When you get a chance give me a call, hope to talk soon.

Jovan Simon
In House Lender
714-619-3172
jsimon@inhouselender.com
http://www.inhouselender.com

We have an A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Wed Mar 18, 2009
Try looking here...http://www.naeba.org/ ....Interview and interview again. Many agents are competing for those who are buying so take advantage of that by finding one who knows the difference between the sale pitch and the truth.
The agent is going to be paid for doing a job, make sure the agent you hire knows his job and what is expected.

Good hunting, Dunes
Bob Phillips, Agent, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Thu Mar 19, 2009
Sa, the website that Dunes contributed, the "http://www.naeba.org/ " appears to be a site where any agent can say they are a "buyer's agent", and then pay the website a fee to be "listed" as same. The only qualification seems to be a willingness to "make a statement" and to pay the requisite fee. That was my take on it, anyway.

Most such sites, just like Trulia, Zillow, and/or Realtor.com, allow an agent to pay for "preferred" placement.
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Thu Mar 19, 2009
Hi Sa,

You can also use our Find a Pro directory to obtain this information. The link below shows 117 buyer's agents in Orange County. You can easily check their profiles and their contributions to Trulia Voices to get a feel for each agent's personality and expertise and if you think one, or several, might be a good fit, you can email them directly from the site.

Best of luck with your search.

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
Felix Hung, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Mon Jun 18, 2012
Sa,

Welcome to OC! I consider Seattle/Tacoma a second home. I was stationed at Ft Lewis WA for 4 yrs. I do not exclusively help buyer's agents but finding a buyer's agent who understands your needs and the market is more important in my book over one that exclusively helps buyers. For example: on my last few listings (short sale listings), I probably have reviewed a few dozen offers and maybe 2-3 of those buyer's agent really knew enough to put a good offer together for a short sale.

If you do choose to still go that route, here are some designation/certifications that may help: http://www.rebac.net/MembershipDirectorySearch.aspx
http://www.cbrsource.com/homet.html

This means the Realtors have gone through a course designed to help buyers BUT that is only part of the equation in this market. I would encourage you to find an agent who also has listed and negotiated short sales and completed REO transaction IF you will be going after those types of purchases.

Best of luck and welcome.

Felix
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Mon Jun 18, 2012
Sa,

You are already doing so by being on Trulia. Read the agent's blogs and examine how they answer questions. You will get a feel for the agent and be able to determine if they will be a good fit for you.

Best Of Luck To You!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Robert Deane…, , Newport Beach, CA
Wed May 30, 2012
I commend you search, most people go with the first agent they call. How do you make such a decision when agents provide you with so little information? Most people will search on their own for weeks and the agent only enters the sales process near the end, when you want to view homes and enter into a sales contract. I'm sure you want more than a chauffeur that drives you between homes you found on the internet. I reach out to buyers as they start their search and provide them with the knowledge to make an informed decision.

I invite you to visit my website and start your discovery process. I provide Lifestyle Search, the most advanced IDX solution that allows you to find answers about neighborhoods and their lifestyles as you search for a home - saving you time and frustration. On the site you can access market information down to the neighborhood level and read blog posts about how homes and neighborhoods live - the lifestyle and vibe.

I am an independent broker and only work as a buyers agent. Explore my website with no strings attached. Call me only if I prove my credentials and earn your trust.

Robert Deane
http://NewportBeachLifeRealEstateServices.com
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Tue May 29, 2012
Sa,

The best way to find an agent you will be working with for the very first time, is to read their profile and posts on Trulia. Referrals are great ,but what may have been a great agent for one person may turn out not to be what you are looking for in an agent.

On Truil you can read the agents own words, and determine if they are a good fit for you. You can determine if they seem caring,and professional, and if they are even willing to take the time needed to work with buyers.

Best Of Luck to YOu,

Kawain Payne, Realtor

I do not knwo of any firms that represent buyers ONLY.
Ted Zervouda…, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sun Jun 5, 2011
How did your search for a buyers agent go? Were you able to find a good agent? I would be curious to know where you found them from and how you went about your search.

TeddyzRealty@gmail.com
Harrison K.…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Mon Mar 30, 2009
Sa ... thanks for your good question about finding a buyer's agent here in the OC for your home and property search.

I agree with an earlier answer here that most real estate agents will represent both buyers and sellers at different times and situations, depending upon their relationship and how that person was referred.

Be sure and hire a Realtor agent who would be a member of the National Assoc. of Realtors, and that person would be guided and bound by the Realtor Code of Ethics.

Best wishes. Harrison K. Long, Explore Group Properties, Coldwell Banker Previews.
The Ervin Gr…, Agent, Fullerton, CA
Thu Mar 19, 2009
Good Evening Sa,

I, myself relocated my family from the Portland, Oregon area. I can tell you from experience that it can be tough... and I have lived in Southern California most of my life! I understand the obstacles, needs, and challenges. Orange County is a BEAUTIFUL place to life and I can help you discover all of its charming neighborhoods! I am currently helping a buyer purchase a home in Orange County who relocated from Minneapolis. I have another client who has moved from the Seattle area... he moved down here for work and due to difficulties in selling his home in Washington he is currently renting. I was happy to help make his transition easier in any way I could! If you'd like to speak or learn more how I can help.....please give me a call or email anytime.

Helping you build your dreams!

Danielle Ervin
714-747-HOME (4663)
danielle.ervin@yahoo.com
Crestico Rea…, , Los Angeles County, CA
Thu Mar 19, 2009
Dear Sa,

Buying a home can be tricky, and getting an agent's help can prove to be quite useful! There are many ways you can look for agents, primarily you can contact a local Realtor association to get a list of its members. Also, you can search the internet. While using a firm that exclusively represents buyers may seem like the best thing to do, you may want to consider a firm that does both, so that you can the best service from both ends of the spectrum. Agents that have represented both buyers and sellers generally have a clearer understanding of the entire process and could potentially get you "more bang for your buck!"

While you are in the process of looking for agent, you may want to speak with a lender so that you can get pre-approved (which always makes the buying process smoother). We, at Crestico Realty, have an outstanding working relationship with a DIRECT FHA Lender in Orange County, American Guardian Home Loans. Please feel free to contact my dedicated representative at American Guardian so that he may help you with the financing of your purchase. His contact info is as follows:

Mr. Houtan Hormozian
American Guardian Home Loans
hhormozian@amguardian.com
Phone: 949-242-5215
Fax: 949-859-6364
27 Orchard
Lake Forest, California 92630

Feel free to visit my website for more information, and contact us so that we can show you what top notch customer service feels like!

Mitra Karimi
Crestico Realty
Web Reference:  http://www.crestico.com
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Thu Mar 19, 2009
Sa, Thank-you it is appreciated.
I wish you the best of luck in your move, Dunes
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Wed Mar 18, 2009

I think that you will find many agents who can help you....I actually started my real estate career as a buyer's agent for a realty group. I think what's important is that you have your own representation and are not using the listing agent for the property, this creates a conflict of interest.

For instance...I never work both sides of a transaction! I am an honest person....but it's human nature to want both of your clients to get what they want. It makes it very difficult for an agent to fight hard for both clients when they are representing each side. I always send a potential buyer to another agent in our office if they call about a listing I have.

I would suggest that you find an agent who will do this also....I have some buyer resources on my website that will give you some ideas of what a buyer's agent will do...and of course, you can search for homes there as well.

Hope this helps....let me know if I can help you.

Karen
Michael Barr…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Wed Mar 18, 2009
Hi there SA, I reside and work in Tustin, North Tustin, Orange. I am a buyers agent and area specialist for the Tustin Area. I would be happy to help you find a home. I can send you any information on the best properties available.. If you go to my site you will be able to search for homes.

Kind Regards
Michael Barron
Realtor/MBA
First Team Real Estate
(714) 552-6917
michael-barron@sbcglobal.net
Aaron Mendez, , Orange County, CA
Wed Mar 18, 2009
Most firms represent buyers AND sellers...however some Real Estate Consultants within a particular firm could lean more towards working exclusively with buyers or exclusively with sellers. Each agent, and his/her expertise is different.
In the past, I would personally carry 10-15 listings at a time, representing seller's, but now with the swing of the market, I've completely shifted over to working exclusively with buyers...showing properties 6 days a week and writing many offers....mainly to banks.
There are quite a few of us out here in Southern California rigth now working primarily with buyers, especially with the influx of buyers recently due to great interest rates and price decreases.
Best of luck with the Home search! I'd love to interview with you for the job!

Aaron Mendez
Team Advantage Real Estate
Wed Mar 18, 2009
Hello, I'm Bob Phillips, of Realty Executives,

Many of us Realtors are adept with either side of a buying/selling transaction. Your concern may be that you prefer exclusive representation, which is usually the case anyway. Very few properties are sold where the same agent represents both parties, although some buyers like to seek out the listing agent of a property, thinking they might be able to somehow strike a better deal, which is not likely.

I don't presently have an active listing, but I am working on a couple, coming up. I have been a Realtor in South Orange County for over 32 years, and have probably helped a much higher percentage of buyers, than sellers, perhaps 75%/25%.

Many agent websites SAY that agent only works with one or the other, but frankly, after 32 years I have seen and done pretty much every type of transaction. I have a website that you can use - linked below, to conduct searches throughout Orange County, and I would be honored to be able to assist you in your search.