Extending the house

Asked by Mee_chaw, Gaithersburg, MD Mon Aug 1, 2011

I am about to buy a house on .35 acre lot and it has ~1750 sq ft ( w/o basement) living area. And was thinking of extending it , will I be able to? And If so, what are the steps thatI need to take

Answers

3
Melissa Bark…, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Hi

As the others mentioned it depends on the lot size, is it level and can you build on it? You will have to go into Montgomery Co offices and get permits and let them know of your intentions to make sure it is legal and possible in that location.

Web Reference:  http://www.wdcmetroagent.com
David Burnham, , Washington, DC
Mon Aug 1, 2011
0.35 Acres sounds pretty big, but depending on the lot shape and the position of the house on the lot, you may have issues fitting an addition. Each lot has what is called a set back, which is essentially a space around the property line where you can not build. These vary by location and you may be able to get a zoning variance. Also, some lots do have public utility easements in the back and you will need to stay away from them.

Once you figure out that the easements are not an issue, make sure to check with any HOA rules (if applicable).

Chances are none of these things will be an issue for you, but I would make sure to check on these before buying the house if the addition is critical.
Stephanie Co…, Agent, Dunkirk, MD
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Mee_chaw:

Extending the house is usually not an issue, it depends on the way the house sits on the boundary lines.. You will need to take a plat to Planning and Zoning in Montgomery County for them to see what your intentions are and if it is possible.