Experience with Symes as a builde in Wakefield, MA?

Asked by Warpug, Wakefield, MA Sun Jun 7, 2009

We are looking at some new construction by Symes Associates, out of Beverly. Anyone purchased a home from them? How was the quality and overall experience?

Answers

4
Declan’s answer
Declan, Home Buyer, Wakefield, MA
Tue Aug 4, 2009
I purchased a pre-construction condo from them a couple of years ago, but never moved in and sold it due the overall quality of the construction. They missed so many things in my unit before I closed -like door stoppers - one wall already had a dent in it, and not hooking up dishwasher to the drain. After I sold it I heard some bad things about the condo from many people around town. Again, you only hear the bad stuff, this is just one story.
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Fri Jun 26, 2009
Hi- Symes has a decent name, and they have been around a long time. They do a lot of commercial / office properties and some retail as well. They have also done some townhouses and condos, etc.
They have built a lot of properties over the past 20 years. Any developer like that will have a bunch of nightmare stories/ bad results. That is a given- it is a numbers game. But, do the good stories outweigh the bad? My guess is - Yes- you just don't hear about the people that are satisfied.
It's also about perception vs. reality. Many people who buy a new condo think that they will never have to worry about anything ever again. That is not the case, and the homeowners themselves still have some maintenance requirements, etc.
If I can be of any help, please let me know. Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.
Molly, , Melrose, MA
Wed Jun 24, 2009
I have a relative who lives at a Symes building in Wakefield. I would say the new building with the wavy walls was less than desirable. Her bathroom ceiling now has brown spots from water leaking upstairs, and has not been resolved in a few months. Her condo fees keep going up, too! I guess snow removal costs so much that her fees have increased more than 100 bucks a month.
Also, one of the new penthouses had severe water damage from those floor to ceiling windows.
It might be worth it if it's cheap enough, but is not necessarily carefree.
Joe Arnao, Agent, Sanwich, MA
Thu Jun 18, 2009
I have no direct experience with the company, only second hand stories and they are all positive.