Effect of affordable housing around gale ranch

Asked by Jojobe, San Ramon, CA Sun Nov 2, 2008

There are a large amount of apartments for low or very-low income families for rent around Quail Run Elementary, do you think this is going to affect the resale value of the homes (like Athena, Belmaison, etc.)around this area? We were advised by realtor before to look out for the mix in the community when looking for a new home, and a mix of affordable housing (rental) and regular homes may have a negative effect on resale value....the affordable housing apartments is a few blocks away from the majority Athena/Belmaison development, should this be a concern?

Answers

3
Allison Gentz, Home Buyer, Ripon, CA
Sat Dec 22, 2012
HI,
I just had to respond to your post. Not all people who are low income are bad. I am a single mom with a masters degree and social worker. I grew up in San Ramon and would love to be able to afford to live back in that area.
But the rents in the area are so out of control that people who work in fields that pay lower can not afford to live around there. I am a professional and I don't want to live in areas like Hayward, San Leandro or Oakland.
Just a thought.....
Beth, , San Ramon, CA
Sun Nov 2, 2008
I agree...the reputation and scores that the SRVUSD has seems to be the driving factors in home value and the popularity of san ramon. Gale Ranch has had very-low and low income housing built since Shapell started here...and we all remember what values have done in the past. The older neighborhoods also have BMR's or low income apartments (Falcon Bridge and Cornerstone).

It shouldn't be a factor to keep you from buying...because wherever you go, wether you are aware or not, there will be rentals and low income housing.

Vickie Nagy, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Sun Nov 2, 2008
Hello Jojobe,

All local cities REQUIRE affordable housing in all new developments. You'll find affordable housing in Alamo, Danville, San Ramon...all over.

My personal and professional opinion is that the quality of the schools drives and supports real estate market values. SRVUSD is the top unified district in the entire state of CA with over 9,000 students. Quail Run is a stand-out elementary school, and has been since the beginning. Most families would JUMP to purchase a home in that school district.

Please call me at (925) 407-7987 with any real estate questions. Given the opportunity, I will work very hard to help you meet your real estate objectives. I’d love to earn the opportunity to be your realtor of choice.

Kindest Regards,
Vickie Nagy
Realtor® - ABR, CRS, e-PRO, GRI, SRES
Specializing in "GETTING YOU WHERE YOU NEED TO BE"
(925) 407-7987 cell
http://www.VickieSellsHomes.com
http://www.BestTriValleyHomes.com
Empire Realty Associates, 380 Diablo Rd, Danville, CA 94526
Web Reference:  http://VickieSellsHomes.com