Earthquake coveragre

Asked by kevin nguyen, anaheim, CA Thu Jun 21, 2012

I'm debating if I should buy earthquake covergare, my houses are in Riverside county 92509 and 92503, some advised not to and they have very good reasons such as high deductible and if big one hit those companies would bankrupt anyway. Please give your honest advise from a home owner perspective instead of from an insurance agent, as agents always say "yes, you definietly need it...." :-)

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jul 30, 2012
We have been in the disaster respond business as general and manufactured home contractors for almost 30 years. We've worked in every California seismic event since 1986. When a signifiant event hits in an area every structure is at risk of some level of destruction.

As others have mentioned insurance companies charge very high deductible i.e. 10% of the total premium or up to $100k deductible if they stay solvent throughout the process. Even when you step up to the plate and pay your premium you can always count on the insurance adjuster to low ball your claim and drag it out for months on end making it a very frustrating and agonizing experience for you.

The best advice I can offer up is to purchase your EQ coverage from the: and hope they remain solvent and pay their claims as promised which is somewhat questionable at best as California is almost insolvent in and of itself. A major seismic event or any disaster for that matter would no doubt bring Cali to it's knees.

As an experienced disaster response contractor about the best advice I can offer up if you're really intent in living in an EQ prone area is to just plain prepare. You need to have your home inspected by an experience EQ engineer/contractor/expert.

They will inspect the foundation to make sure that it is properly anchored to the structure with EQ straps. If the home has a crawl space they will check to make sure that the cripplewall has been properly shear paneled. They will also check the fireplace chimney to make sure that it has been properly reinforced. They should also inspect the walls, ceiling and roof structural members to make sure that they have been reinforced with EQ straps.

As an added precaution it will be incumbent on you the homeowner to be proactive as well by installing safety latces on all your cuppards and doors and installing anchoring mechenizims behind all of your appliances i.e. refer, stove, dishwasher, washer/dryer, heavy furniture, etc.

Finally but certainly not lastly you will need to secure all your finery, glassware, nick nacks, etc. by means of a quick drying glue or an approved EQ adhesive of some type. Here's a link that will direct you to some EQ companies that actually sell myriad EQ related products and services.

Let me remind you however that you should always us a licensed and experienced EQ general contractor for any structural retrofitting that may need to be provided to make sure your home is made as safe as is possible should you be caught in an EQ.

Lastly, you can never be too prepared. In all the natural disasters I've ever worked in I've never seen a person red tagged (Home condemned and render uninhabitable) when these measures have been taken. That's not to say that you couldn't be yellow tagged, (extensive damaged but inhabitable) or green tagged (light damage and inhabitable).

But it's better to have a home to go home to with surface damage you will have to tend to than to be one of the thousands of victims whose life was turned upside down and has no place to live for several months if not years. Always exercise on the side of caution.

Should you need any additional information please feel free to contact us anytime. My cell is 760 815-6977 or feel free to email me at Also feel free to visit our very user friendly websites anytime:'
1 vote
kevin nguyen, Landlord, anaheim, CA
Sat Aug 4, 2012
Thanks John for great advise,
0 votes
kevin nguyen, Landlord, anaheim, CA
Tue Jun 26, 2012
Thanks David & Harold for your great responses.
0 votes
David Melend…, Agent, Riverside, CA
Fri Jun 22, 2012
I can give you both prospectives. As an insurance agent for 30+ years and a realtor for five.
My advice is if you live in a fault area and have a two story home or a home not on a slab, I would definitely get earthquake insurance. Other wise I wouldn't unless you have money to protect every possibility.
Call me for further discussion, 951-757-1113
Thank you,
David Melendez
0 votes
Larry & Rose…, Agent, Riverside, CA
Thu Jun 21, 2012
Hi, Investor 101,
Most policies I know of have a 10% deductible. The premium can be significant also.
You should probably discuss this with your both your financial and legal advisors. I know I don't feel qualified to discuss this issue with you, and I believe most Realtors would be uncomfortable at best if asked to answer your question.
Please...ask me a Riverside real estate question!
Have a GREAT day!

Larry Utesch
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Jun 21, 2012
Comedian Flip Wilson said the darndest thing about insurance. "The insurance company is betting that nothing is going to happen to your or your property while you are betting that it will."

From a practical standpoint, insurance is totally questionable when faced with paying the premium but VERY nice to have when faced with a claim.

Best wishes with your decision,

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more