E&O Insurance for home inspector

Asked by rssraj, 11375 Wed Jan 25, 2012

Guys - should I make sure that a home inspector has E&O insurance when hiring him? Do most home inspectors carry that?


Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Robert D Hughes’ answer
Robert D Hug…, Agent, Devon, PA
Wed Jan 25, 2012
Rssraj, always make sure property inspectors are insured and have an association with a national group like American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI http://www.ashi.org/ Also what is their policy to warrant or back you up if they make significant errors in their inspections.

Less chances of bad results when you deal with experienced/knowledgeable/reputable Professionals.

Good Luck,

1 vote
Yuriy Goldst…, , New York
Thu Jan 26, 2012
The E&O insurance is completely different from liability insurance. For example our state required that licensed home inspector carry a liability insurance only. As of E&O insurance inspector may have it and may have not. There is a different forms of "inspection insurance" inspector can offer. For example look at my website under "100 days warranty".
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Jan 25, 2012
Make sure that your inspector is licensed and does carry insurance....what is your agent advising...
0 votes
Lauryn Eadie, Agent, Reston, VA
Wed Jan 25, 2012
I would make sure that your Home Inspector is a member of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) and does carry some insurance. My home inspector also ensures his work up to a value ($5,000) I believe in case there is something he should have caught was missed.

Luckily my clients have never used it, but I think it says something about the integrity of his work that he is willing to insure it!
Web Reference:  http://www.ashi.org/
0 votes
Hello, What do you mean by..." My home inspector....." If you are a real estate broker/agent you should not "have" inspectors but have a list or a group of cards & brochures for your client to select "his or her" inspector....You need to stay out of that loop or you may become double liable..... I am "Tim Williams Dot Biz".......Home Insp, GC and RE Broker in SC-USA.
Flag Fri Aug 30, 2013
Abu Musa, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Jan 25, 2012
You may talk to your real estate agent. They know the professional Home inspector because agent work with them.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more