Ulrich Stern, Home Buyer in 94402

Durham Lochnora, Solterra, Picket Crossing areas

Asked by Ulrich Stern, 94402 Sat Jun 27, 2009

My wife will be starting a faculty position at Duke and we will be moving from California. In my searches (so far Internet-only), buying a home in the Durham Lochnora, Solterra, or Picket Crossing areas seemed to be a good choice -- relatively close to Duke and relatively good home value. Yet recommendations on Trulia Voices seem to be more for, say, Woodcroft or Hope Valley. Any insights?

You might consider some of the newer home neighborhoods in 27705, between Erwin and 15-501 - these include our nhood, Carillon Forest, and Trinity Park. We have many Duke (University and Medical side) families here, as well as UNC people. The nhood is family-friendly and incredibly diverse - tons of trees, good value homes on decent-sized lots. Good luck with your search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 22, 2009
Hi Ulruch, I was full-time faculty at Duke for 3 years after my fellowship and now am adjunct faculty as I was recruited to UT Southwestern in Dallas. I think the areas you will like are the Lochnora, Pickett and Winstead Subdivisions (Winstead is across the street from Solterra - Solterra is kind of a commune community as there are group dinners once a week and it is more of a green community). We are also from California and we had lived in Hope Valley area during residency/fellowship but moved to Winstead Subdivision when I joined faculty. It is wonderful there and only 5 minutes to Duke. There are 4 other Duke Medicine faculty members (1 in nephrology, 1 in hem/onc, 1 in cardiology, and 1 ER) in Winstead. It also has some UNC professors as it is a great location/subdivision. It is also in the best school district if you don't want to do Duke Private School. The neighborhood is so desirable that one of the chiefs of a division has rented our house as a second home to get their kids in the right school district. There are 3 homes for sale there (and we are about to list ours now that the chief was approved to move back home). I would say Woodcroft is more of a first house purchase not a faculty member location and same with Hope Valley.
Good luck and enjoy Duke! Jula
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 7, 2009
The areas you mention are, as you say, attractive and convenient to Duke. One of the major considerations in your situation needs to be how long you plan to stay in the area. The Woodcroft and Hope Valley Farms neighborhoods in Southwest Durham turn over very well, hold their value and are very popular with folks only planning to be in the area for a few years.
The other major consideration is how much you want to spend. If you are looking for something more pricey there are a few listings in Duke Forest which is adjacent to the University and was originally developed by Duke for faculty and staff.
The really high end stuff in Durham ($700K and above) has been stagnant for several years and there are some terrific bargains especially if you plan on being here for awhile. The other alternatives include the older neighborhoods closer to downtown like Trinity Park. These neighborhoods are pricey for the square footage but boost a strong sense of community (neighborhood associations, listservs, etc.) and are even more precious now that Downtown Durham is becoming the arts and entertainment center of the Triangle. The final consideration that may be the importance of schools. Many new Dukies get steered to Chapel Hill because of the school ratings and pay a heavy premium in house prices. However this is much less a factor than it was just a few years ago primarily because of the strides the Durham system has made since its two systems merged about 15 years ago. Reputation still lags reality somewhat but I would not hesitate to put my daughter in the Durham school system again.
Hope this helps. Good luck. Don't know where you are coming from but this is a wonderful place to live.
Web Reference: http://durhamluxre.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 3, 2009
Hello Ulrich,

I can highly reccomend the areas you mentioned, especially Lochnora since I live on Lochnora Pkwy myself and have found it quite nice and very conevenient over the lasr 12 years. The Woodcroft/Hope Valley Farms neighborhoods are also quite nice. The SW part of thecounty has had the best track record for appreciation and ease of re-sale in recent years.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with move to the Durham area and congratulations on your new faculty appointment at Duke.

Fritz Hine
Coldwell Banker Howard Perry & Walston
Office: 919-317-4324
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 27, 2009
Hi Ulrich, We have many wonderful neighborhoods around Duke, however the Woodcroft and Hope Valley areas are enjoying quicker resales once a home is on the market. This by no means makes them the best choice for everyone. I feel it is important to visit a neighborhood to get a feel for it and to see it at different times of the day. I would be happy to help out if you would like, I think you and your family will like Durham we have alot to offer.
Kerry Johnson
Web Reference: http://johnsonk.hpw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 27, 2009
Hi Ulrich
All of the neighborhoods you mentioned are great choices, the reason you are hearing Woodcroft & Hope Valley is partially resale. These neighborhoods have been the top selling in Durham for the past couple of years, so resale is very good in both, obviously when you are the buyer, this also means less room to negotiate for you as well. I would be happy to help in any way I can, I am very active on Trulia, as you can probably see and would love to help you find your new home.
Web Reference: http://www.colvinm.hpw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 27, 2009