Due to foreclosures and short sales the appraisal came in 17 % below the agreed sale price. What next?

Asked by jswalter60, Wadsworth, OH Tue May 22, 2012

Answers

2
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Tue May 22, 2012
I am assuming you have a contract on a house that you're trying to buy? Does the contract address this issue? Hopefully, I know most do. First, talk to your agent. Then, read your contract. Wish I could tell you more.
Web Reference:  http://www.vickychrisner.com
Amy Hoes, Agent, Medina, OH
Tue May 22, 2012
You can challenge the appraisal, have your agent pull some comps that support the higher price, however, the buyer usually will use the low appraisal to their advantage and in this market the seller is pretty much stuck with the lower price (or not selling). I believe that you can appeal the appraisal or ask for a second opinion but you probably won't have much luck with this. You can also put the home back on the market and roll the dice that you will get a better appraisal next time. Appraisal's are very subjective. You can have two appraisers come in with two totally different prices. Cleanliness and overall home condition really do make a difference. If the appraiser walks in and the house smells like smoke and has pet hair flying around in the air it is almost a given that this home will appraise lower than it could if it looked and smelled it's best. The same thing goes for selling the house. In a normal market foreclosures and short sales aren't usually included in the appraisal but at the moment they are much more significant because they are around 25% of all sales so they are often included now. What is the address of the home?
Thanks for the response. Actually this is a relative living in Tucson, selling their place. They stand to take a BIG hit again. Thanks.
Flag Wed May 23, 2012