Dual-agency preferred for Pleasanton home buyers?

Asked by Otto, Pleasanton, CA Fri Apr 26, 2013

Is there any benefit for Pleasanton home buyers to rely on dual-agency and use the seller's agent to create an offer?

Answers

8
Doug Buenz &…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Wed May 29, 2013
In my opinion there is no benefit to the buyer by using the seller's agent. It is unwise to make long term decisions based on a few thousand dollars, especially when making decisions involving hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Just my opinion...

Doug Buenz
The 680 Group at Alain Pinel Realtors
(925) 463-2000
Web Reference:  http://www.680homes.com/
Joanna Jensen, Other Pro, Livermore, CA
Fri May 24, 2013
Hi Otto,

If you decide to use a dual agent, you may want to think about asking for a credit on the commission. Otherwise why would you use their agent.

The agent will make double the commission. Some listing agents prefer it that way specially on short sales and may not even accept offers from other realtors. Which is not right but does happen.

Of course this depends on the agent but you may want to get your own agent .

I really dont see how it would benefit you or the seller. Sometimes using the same agent puts that person in an uncomfortable position when they represent both parties.

Best of luck.

You should definately get pre approved before you shop. A buyer that is pre-approved and writes a good offer has a much better change at getting the attention of the seller.
Steve Mohseni, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Tue Apr 30, 2013
Although dual agency is legal and from time to time appears to work better than when there are two agents involved, it is not a my recommendation. A listing agent is there to get the highest and best offer for the seller in addition to protect them for any future law suits and complications. The buyer's agent on the other is to have the buyer's interest in mind at all time and getting his client lowest net price possible for the property. It is very difficult for an agent to make sure to walk a fine-line of being a dual agent correctly and effectively. Very often this type of situation will result in one of the parties feeling they were not best represented even though if this may not be true....Unless you are a savvy homebuyer, I would not recommend it. John Sourerbry said downside of a dual agency situation generally outweighs any possible upside.

Barbara Wils…, Agent, Danville, CA
Fri Apr 26, 2013
How can the SELLER'S agent get their seller the highest possible price, and, at the same time, get you the buyer, the LOWEST possible price?

If you have a good negotiator representing you, you will save far more than the 1/2 or 1% that you think you are "saving" by using someone with a conflict of interest.
Rhonda Fee, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Apr 26, 2013
When settling a dispute of any kind, do you share an attorney with the person you are disputing? Of course not! Once in a while, there might be a reason to share an agent, but everyone REALLY needs to be on the same page. The seller is paying the commission, why would you NOT hire your own representation?
JoAnn Wheeler, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Fri Apr 26, 2013
Hi Otto,

You really need to have your own agent. It is very hard for an agent to remain neutral in the transaction. If you have your own agent they will go 110% and fight for you. That is hard if the agent knows what both sides will and won't do.

Also you have to understand the agent already has an existing relationship with the seller and the buyer has a new relationship with the agent.

Good luck. I am an agent in Pleasanton so if you need any help let me know.

JoAnn
Nina Daruwal…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Fri Apr 26, 2013
Hi Otto,
I dont think so. Remember, the Sellers Agent REPRESENTS the Seller and should have the Sellers Best interest at heart, and it is also their Fidusary duty to do so. Representing a Buyer is OK, but they come in second place, and there can be a conflict of interest!.....It is always better to have your own personal agent representing you putting YOUR interest as First priority! Choice is yours....
All the Best,
Nina Daruwalla
Coldwell Banker
DRE#01712223
Web Reference:  http://www.ninadaruwalla.com
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Fri Apr 26, 2013
My personal opinion is the downside to dual agency always outweighs any possible upside.