Does taking out a "second home" loan have different tax ramifications than taking out an "investment home" loan?

Asked by DB, Fort Lauderdale, FL Tue Jul 16, 2013

Answers

7
Tony Grech, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Southfield, MI
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Disclaimer: I'm no tax expert and you should verify this with a pro before you go doing anything!

Although mortgage terms and requirements are widely different for a 2nd/vacation home and an investment property, from a tax standpoint the loan you take out is irrelevant. It depends what you actually use the home for.

If you should decide to purchase another home at the beach or maybe the mountains, the vacation home would be your second home. If this home is for your use only, and If you are able to itemize your deductions for tax purposes, the mortgage interest from the second home can be used as a deduction.

In contrast, if you rent out the home for more than two weeks per year, the IRS will consider it an investment propery. In this case, you can only count expenses of the property against any income that is generated from the property. These expenses can help offset taxes you must pay on the income you receive from renting it out.
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Fri Jul 19, 2013
Real Estate Taxes, personal income taxes or capitol gain taxes?
Thomas Moser, Agent, East Northport, NY
Tue Jul 16, 2013
I have heard that the federal govenment is considering eliminating the tax write off for investment property mortgage interest, so you may want to take that possibility into account.
Daniel Dohrn, Agent, Lighthouse Point, FL
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Hi hwkeye05,
I have noticed that you have filed several real estate related questions on Trulia in the last couple of weeks.
It appears that you could be best served by engaging an experienced Realtor to assist you with your many concerns and questions. Yes, there have been many responses posted to your questions and most have been reasonable answers. A local Realtor working for you probably will be a better, quicker, source that will respond to questions particular to your needs.
Keyes Real Estate can provide a number or resources as we have mortgage, title, and insurance departments in house, plus, associations with a variety of other business' that handle inspections, moving, short sales, credit, home warranty, security and even immigration services.
If this holds interest to you, please contact me to set a meeting at my office.
Dan Dohrn, Realtor, Keyes Real Estate
561-212-5373
Stephen McRo…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Tampa, FL
Tue Jul 16, 2013
-
If you want real life scenario questions answered, always consult a Mortgage Broker.

This is a No Brainer!!!

Absolutely it does!

Number one, Higher rate on investment property loans means more possible interest write off.

Also, you can't write off furnishings, upgrades, repairs, HOA dues, insurance, advertising, etc. on a true 2nd home that you're not doing seasonal rentals on. There's no P.A.L. Account on a 2nd home to lessen future cap gains.

====.
Gary Hitchco…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Tue Jul 16, 2013
I would ask a tax lawyer Kyle Hitchcock at Berkowitz,Pollack,Brandt
Joan Lorberb…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Tue Jul 16, 2013
This is a question that should be posed to and answered by your own tax advisor -- your accountant or CPA.
Typical female answer.... don't answer the question, just direct someone to the nearest professional. The reason why I posted here was to avoid the hassles of going to someone. Duh!
Flag Tue Jul 16, 2013