Does proximity to parks, lakes, golf courses, ponds, churches, cemeteries and other quiet non-home neighbors affect housing prices?

Asked by Curiousj, 02130 Wed May 18, 2011

Answers

8
Ron Danklefs, , 02130
Tue Jun 17, 2014
Yes all these things matter. But one of the most important factors (not included in this list) is the rating of the local schools. Even if buyers do not have kids, school ratings may become a factor for them when it comes time to sell.
Tom and Joan…, Agent, Boston, MA
Tue May 31, 2011
Just curious:

You have listed quite a range of items that will have varying degrees of impact on housing properties. I would challenge that a church may not be as quiet as a pond since you have congregational meetings several times a week. Would you not agree? Lakes and ponds will vary depending on the usage of the water ways. I think you really need to focus your question to each of these items. Best
RoostWise Te…, Agent, Bedford, MA
Mon May 23, 2011
I think there are varying degrees for many of these examples you list.

Broadly sought amenities - things people pay a premium to be closer to - will positively affect value.

The others are personal preference and are more value-neutral.

Cemeteries are neutral/negative of the ones you listed in my opinion. Some buyers don't care that a house is close to one, others won't buy it because of it.

So yes, their proximity does affect them :)...
Kevin Vitali, Agent, Tewksbury, MA
Wed May 18, 2011
It is really on a case to case basis.... to unilaterally say that affect value would be wrong. It really depends on how it affects your property.
Sergio Herna…, , Naples, FL
Wed May 18, 2011
It would be more accurate to say they influence values, rather than affect prices.
Web Reference:  http://www.golftobeach.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed May 18, 2011
Depends, proximity to anything is really a matter of personal preferences; if looking to buy review comps with your agent, recently sold similar properties in the immediate area, then go from there.
Tetyana, , Stoneham, MA
Wed May 18, 2011
Yes, it does.
If you are thinking to sell a house, talk to local real estate pro, who can do price analysis for you. This service is free.
If you are looking to buy a house it is hardly recommended to hire a local real estate pro, who will do price analysis on house you like, to make sure you do not overpay.

Best of success!
Masha Sender…, Agent, Newton, MA
Wed May 18, 2011
I would say overall walk score affects pricing and some cemeteries may affect in a negative way, but none of these are really major factors. Comparables that sold recently are.