Hetal, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Does green belt with retention creek is good for home buying?

Asked by Hetal, Austin, TX Mon Mar 3, 2014

Answers

7
The Stephen…, Agent, Portland, OR
Mon Mar 3, 2014
Absolutely, as long as the property is not in a flood plain, or causes the property to require flood insurance (very costly these days).
Linda Fisher, Agent, Humble, TX
Mon Mar 3, 2014
I think you are very smart to check into those issues , although I do not know the answer ,, I think you should find a good real state agent and a good lender and get all the answers you need.

Good Luck

Linda
Connie Bearf…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Mar 3, 2014
Hello Hetal,

It is so smart to do your research before buying a home. Good for you for so smartly looking into such matters. I think the other realtors and lender did a good job of covering several items to consider. The additional item that I would like to add is the safety of children, if you have any. Standing water may be dangerous, depending on their age, fencing, and supervision.

I believe that most people do see the greenbelt as more positive. It creates a peaceful breathing space, energy, and privacy. Please also consider that with green, often comes some wildlife, wonderful if you like that idea, not so much, if you don't.

There are many other things to think of when buying a home, taxes, HOA dues, MUD's, etc. I'd like to cover it all with you, so there are no surprises. Please feel free to call me at (512)560-9318, or visit my website for a look at all currently active homes, and accurate pricing information. (Not always true for all websites.)
Steven Nusin…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Mar 3, 2014
Hi Hetal,

I think a greenbelt with a retention creek is a positive. In fact, I live next to one, and it provides additional privacy. However, the home should not be located in a flood plain.

If I can be of further assistance with your home search, please feel free to contact me anytime. I would be happy to show you how to save time and money.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
JOSEPH E JAR…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Mar 3, 2014
Hetal, a home backing to the Greenbelt is a good thing as it means that area will not be developed and you will not have neighbors behind you, hopefully indefinitely.

As far as being near a retention creek, that would depend on how large it is and if the property is in or near a flood zone. If it is it in or near a flood zone, I would stay away as that requires extra insurance and also makes the home less desirable when you go to sell.

If you're not yet working with a qualified, experienced REALTORĀ® such as myself, feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to answer other questions, assist you with your homebuying purchase, and make sure you don't make a mistake in purchasing a home in the wrong area. I represent buyers like you at no cost, have a great team of lenders, inspectors, etc. to assist us throughout the process, and have a long list of very satisfied clients. Feel free to contact me and I will do all I can to assist! Thanks, Joe

Joe Jarusinsky, REALTORĀ®, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Call 512-261-4415
Jordan Gouger, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Mar 3, 2014
Hi Hetal,

Yes and no. Green belts that are near a home will usually increase a home's desirabilty factor as they offer recreation and a means of connecting with nature. Additionally, some homes that back to a green belt may not have any neighbors directly behind the house.

However, you should be cautious about FEMA flood zones if there is a creek or a storm water retention area within the green belt. The City of Austin publishes a very useful map with city FEMA data which is available from the web reference. You may need to purchase flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program if the home you are buying is in this zone.

Also, please, please don't buy a home within the flood zones for Onion Creek! Onion Creek is one of the worst flood-prone areas of town and I have personally seen the devasation that it is capable of causing.

If this answer was helpful, please vote for it or nominate it for a best answer. If I can be of any assisstance to you in your home search, please give me a call.

Jordan Gouger
Keller Williams
512-693-9297
The Roman Lo…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Mar 3, 2014
Hello Hetal,

The benefits are that you have more privacy and one less neighbor. You do want to make sure that the creek does not become flooded with heavy rain however. From a re-sale stand point, extra privacy is always a plus.

Roman Lopez
512-947-2250