Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

minerva_garc…, Home Owner in Los Angeles, CA

Does anyone knows the process of eviction. Im the new owner of SFR and tenant dont want to moved

Asked by minerva_garcia62, Los Angeles, CA Sat Dec 21, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 23, 2013
I assume you have a tenant who is in breach of contract. If the property were rent controlled you could not evict them unless they were in breach of contract or you were going to move into the unit in which case you would pay a substantial relocation fee. If the tenant is in breach of contract, you can evict whether the property is rent controlled or not, and, of course, there would be no relocation fee. You would start by serving the tenant with a 3 day notice to quit which you could pick up at a stationary store. You would personally deliver it to the tenant or mail a copy and post a copy on their front door. If they do not pay or vacate within the 3 day period, then you would serve them with an unlawful detainer and summons to appear in Superior Court. However, I do not recommend doing it yourself. You should hire an eviction attorney. The tenant may move out once they receive an eviction notice and summons to appear in court from an attorney. If they do not, and the attorney needs to go to court, it can take 6 weeks or more, and will cost a little more, probably as much as $1,500.00. I have had the necessity to evict a number of tenants in the past and have used Dennis Block, phone number 800-773-8428.. He has been specializing in evictions for several decades, is very knowledgeable and very good at what he does.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 22, 2013
I recommend you take a look at the landlord and tenant laws for California. You can find them online at http://www.dca.ca.gov. The process of eviction is time consuming.
If the tenant doesn't voluntarily move out after the landlord has properly given the required notice to the tenant, the landlord can evict the tenant. In order to evict the tenant, the landlord must file an unlawful detainer lawsuit in superior court.. The full information is located at the site.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 22, 2013
It would be easier, and in the long run probably less aggravating, for you to hire a company or attorney that specializes in evictions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 21, 2013
Ask the real estate agent who helped you buy the house ,he should be able to refer you to a good eviction attorney . Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 21, 2013
Here is information on the eviction process from the Ca Bureau of Real Estate.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.
Nicolas Romo
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 21, 2013
You should first consult with an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 21, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer