Home Buying in Newburgh>Question Details

Rusty, Both Buyer and Seller in 10303

Does anyone know what the approximate cost would be to connect to municipal water?

Asked by Rusty, 10303 Sat Oct 20, 2012

I'm interested in an old farm house outside of Newburgh NY that I'd like to have connected to city water. This would involve digging a trench about 100 feet from the street to the house and hooking into city water I'd imagine. I called the city and finding it difficult to get through to someone who can help. Does any know what costs are involved to a prospective home buyer. I would like to know as much as I can before I sign a contract. I know there will be a connection fee that I'd be responsible for. Does anyone have any idea the process and cost involved in this connection?

Answers

3
Hi. I would recommend that you call the town hall which has jurisdiction over the property you are interested in.

It will direct you the right department or company which can give or provide you with this information.

Good Luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Thanks Maria!
I'll contact them first thing Monday.
Flag Sun Oct 21, 2012
Have you considered contacting the water department; also check for any necessary permits...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
Thanks for your response Anna. Yes, we have contacted the water department a couple of times, left messages and have not heard back as of yet... We will keep trying though as I know the system requires perseverance. Thanks again.
Flag Sun Oct 21, 2012
I would call a plumber for that information. First you would need to know if municipal water is available in the location you are considering. There are many locations in the area that it is not available. Good luck in finding your answers.
Rusty, I suggest you also get an estimate for digging the ditch from an excavator for the 100 ft you mention to the road or were the municiple water line is near the road edge. It must also be below frost line 4 ft typically but a local excavator would know the soil characteristics also ie: rock, bank run , loam etc. copper pipe valves and the city water connecting costs are all part of connecting too. Have you had the well that may have been on the farm tested? perhaps a well is an option also. good luck! some beautiful old farms in that area.
Flag Tue Dec 10, 2013
Thanks for your answer Paddy! City water is available, I will see what help I can get from a plumber. I thought since it was through the city I had to go through them... Good to know.
Flag Sat Oct 20, 2012